Logo

1967 Mercury 110 98hp question

cdsuttles

I am new to boating and I just

I am new to boating and I just had a older jon boat given to me. I am having a problem when I pull the pull-start the motor wants to tilt up. It seems that there should be a lock or something but I can't find anything. Can someone please tell me how to lock the motor from swinging up when I pull to start it? Pictures would help will be helpful. Thanks all.

"Hi,most outboards have a pin

"Hi,most outboards have a pin that goes across the gap towards the bottom of the transom bracket,on the outside.when the outboard swings down,it has two spring loaded hooks that clip over that pin.in nuetral and reverse,the hooks stay there,keeping the motor secure[especially for reverse operation]when in forward gear,they should lift up,allowing the motor to lift up,in case the lower leg hits a submerged object,saving the leg from severe damage.sometimes those hooks seize in the up position,so may recquire CRC or diesel spray to get them working.they should be free and clip over that pin easily.that pin,by the way,also adjusts the angle of the outboard,by selecting different holes.hope that helps a bit.get a manual as well,very helpful"

I had a 1966 9.8 years ago. I

I had a 1966 9.8 years ago. I remember it had a lock lever. It was right above the clamp. You pushed it up and in at the same time to lock the motor down.

Back