Logo

Who Can Solve This Problem 1982 25 hp

tulsamiked

"Mercury 1982 25 hp outboard

I took my boat out last week, first time in 5 months, when i pulled the rip cord it felt locked. The cord barely budged a few inches. When i pulled the spark plugs out to lube the cylinders, the cord pulled fine. With the plugs in, it wont budge. I didnt winterize my outboard and it was in neutral.

Any ideas why with the plugs in it wont pull?

Thanks"

"You've experienced extrem

"You've experienced extreme muscle loss in 5 months?
proud.gif
"

"Bear with me here, but the fl

"Bear with me here, but the fly wheel is what my pull start recoil mechanism engages when screwed in, right?"

Might be wrong and stand to be

Might be wrong and stand to be corrected but sounds like it is seized to me. Had a similar prob with an old engine i had that wouldnt turn over unless i pulled the spark plugs.

"..."Well, ever since i to

"..."Well, ever since i took over being the Gov of California..."

That's pronounced "Cal-ly-FORN-e-ah!"

There's a dopey mechanism on some of those (NOT mine!) that prevents you from pulling the cord unless:

It's in neutral,

the throttle is down,

the moon is in the second quarter, (and other horse pucky)!

Do yourself a favor and toss it all in the 'round file'.

Jeff"

how about just putting one plu

how about just putting one plug at a time in and trying the pull start after each one. Might get progressivly worse as you go. Just a thought. Im real curious about what you find. heres a thought. Scored pistons or walls or bad crank bearings or wrist pins that only show up when compression builds. Try tuning the flywheel slowly by hand and see if you can feel it getting tighter as you go.

"heres another idea, Internals

"heres another idea, Internals of engine are dry.maybe a little rusty, Pull plugs squart oil in top of pistons and just oil in the carb throats. No gas. Leave plugs out and spin engine over to circulate oil. Hopefully itll get easier each time. Heck maybe itll work??????"

"I'll give all these a try

"I'll give all these a try. Very helpful, thanks.

Alan, when you say oil, do you mean the oil i put in the gas mixture, or like WD-40 or something like that?"

The flywheel turns fine and th

The flywheel turns fine and the pistons are moving great with the plugs out. It still wont move much with the plugs in. Like the air has no where to go. Could this be the carb?

"use 2 cycle oil for this test

"use 2 cycle oil for this test. When you turn the engine over with just one plug, then add the second plug is it different????? harder with two plugs than one???
Heres another idea. Using compressed air. with plugs removed of course, bring one to the bottom of its stroke, apply compressed air, can you hear it coming from the carb? if not try moving the piston up slowly until the piston clears the exaust port, see what Im getting at here? Sounds like maybe youve got some small creatures nest inside blocking the exaust port. What do you guys think?? Possible????"

"It could be a crook pullstart

"It could be a crook pullstart mechanism.when under load it could be seizing.try turning flywheel with ratchet and socket with plugs in.even with foreign objects in the exhaust,it will still turn over,but restrict exhaust flow at higher revs. some flywheels have provision for wrapping a cord around them ,for emergency,so try pull starting that way.see if its easier"

"The pullstart mechanism is fi

"The pullstart mechanism is fine and when i turned the flywheel with the plugs in the pistons moved freely. Its just with the plugs it it feels forced, like trying to squeeze a 2 liter bottle with the lid half on. I did hear air trying to squeeze out of the carb with the plugs in though. Could that be the sign of anything? Should air come back through the carb if there was a blockage somwhere?"

Have you tried taking a compre

Have you tried taking a compression test yet? Would tell you where the problem most likly lies. Would be helpful to see if the problem is the compression stroke or the exaust stroke or somewhere else. Even using your thumb to feel how the compression builds as the pistion moves. would be helpful..Need to see if the problem lies in the cylinderr and if so which one?.

Try removing the plugs and pul

Try removing the plugs and pulling the engine over a doz times then put the plugs back in and try it as the engine may have hydraulic lock

It sounds like the engine is f

It sounds like the engine is flooding very badly. If the cylinders are filled with fuel it will lock up. Maybe flooding carbs or torn diaphram in the fuel pump.

I took out the carb and cleane

I took out the carb and cleaned it. It was full of gas. Im still having the same problem with the plugs in though. I pulled teh plugs and tilted my outboard back and pulled the cord multiple times to get excess fluid out of the cylinders. Im about at the end of my fuse on this one. Any other ideas or things i could try here? Wouldnt mind to go fishing tomorrow...suppose to be 65

Back