Logo

Leaking oil or fuel 8v92

reefrunnerau

"Hi I have an old 8v92 that ha

"Hi I have an old 8v92 that has been leaking oil and/or fuel from what appears to be around the bottom of the exhaust manifold area mainly on the starboard side. It's been getting worse over the years and more so now making a mess everywhere. It's reaching the point where I need to fix it, any ideas as to what might be causing this and the solution would be appreciated, thanks."

"Hi James,
I would use an ins

"Hi James,
I would use an inspection mirror to try and see where the oil might be coming from. If it's making that big a mess, then there should be a pretty noticable leak path. It took me a while as a young mechanic to figure out that when looking for liquid leaks of any kind to take gravity into account. Meaning when you think you see where it is coming from, look higher to be sure that gravity isn't bringing it from somewhere else than the obvious.

There are some inspection covers on the engine block under the maniflolds in that general location and they do have gaskets and they will leak. If that is the cause and if you can get to them, it's an easy fix.

However, I have seen the manifolds come loose and leak oil too. In most of those cases you can hear the exhaust leak and you didn't mention that. If the manifold is loose and leaking, and you are running a turbo, you will be losing power as well as "slobber" oil.

Again though, keep in mind that most marine installations are a bit off the horizontal and are tilted to the rear slightly so that a leak originating at the front of the engine can sometimes follow a path rearward and fool you into thinking it's coming from back there. Damn gravity!
Good luck and good hunting."

"Hi, thanks for the reply. Oil

"Hi, thanks for the reply. Oil leaks!!!!!!!!! Found oil pooling on top of the motor rear of the blower so I assume it maybe coming from that? The motor is none turbo. The leaks around the exhaust manifold appear to be coming from the manifold themselves, not even sure if it is oil, its black but appears thinner than oil, could it be fuel in the exhaust, engine is so noisey I wouldn't know if the exhaust leaked. Thanks for any answers."

"Well, I would really be conce

"Well, I would really be concerned about fire if the oil is running on to the exhaust. It is not good for the exhaust valves to have the manifolds loose as it causes turbulence in the exhaust stream and prevents them from cooling properly. If it is fuel mixed with oil then I would think the engine would be down on power or missing as that would be from a damaged or missing injector tip. The oil at the rear of the engine could be something like an accessory drive cover gasket or even the tachometer drive/blower drive shaft cap leaking. Pressurized oil does come up to the blower bearings and those passage seals are a possiblity too."

"the black drooling coming fro

"the black drooling coming from your exhaust manifold can be a number of things,highest possible thing is worn valve guides but if your pistons are wet its an injector spitting or the fuel rack is not set properly; on the other hand your blower boot(black rubber seal on backside of blower) is probably dry rotted causing an oil leak."

Back