Logo

BF100 my problem carburetor I caused

gajpurdy

"This is a problem that could

"This is a problem that could be with any carbuetor. Here I go. By the way, the original problem of dumping fuel was I finally realized, the bowl drain knob was open and that was I think the problem. Not proven, but likely. Anyway, while trying to dislodge the float I used carburetor cleaner and was taping the carb trying to dislodge the float. Well as would happen, I broke off the gas inlet nippel clean off. I have the nippel in my hand and a protion of it in the carb none sticking out. Is there anyway to get that portion in the carb out and someplace to get a new one to replace it. I trust these stuped things happen to everyone."

"Unfortunately, when this happ

"Unfortunately, when this happens to me, I just replace the carburator. By the time I drill it out and try to come up with some inovative replacement (I do not know where to buy just the nipple), it is simpler to replace it. Besides that, if I screwed up a customer's motor, it is not right to return it to him with a bandaid on it.

Since in your description, you are retired, you may want to at least try to fix it. If you have the time.... use a drill press to drill out the old part of the nipple. Be sure not to go in any further than you have to. They are usually pressed in. Then see if you can find some brass tubing (at a local hardware store) that is the same size as the hole that you drilled.

Hopefully, the outside diameter will be approximately the same size as the fuel line that you are going to attach to it.

When you put it in, coat the tubing with gasola or some other good gas resistant sealer. You may need to also put some sealer on the hose connection since it will not have barbs.

I have not checked for availability, but you can purchase a replacement at boats.net http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/0/parts.html

It all depends on your serial number.

I am not sure it this will work, but the carb is junk as it is.

Even though noone else has answered your post, maybe this will spark some other more creative ideas.

Good luck!"

"Just an idea from "outsid

"Just an idea from "outside the box". If you can find a hobby shop that caters to the radio controlled airplane crowd you might get someone there to help you find a replacement fitting for your carb. Those guys fabricate much of the the stuff that they use and the hardware may be more to scale for your needs as opposed to what's available at the local "Hank's". If you could find a brass barbed fitting with a 1/16" pipe thread, you might be able to drill and tap the hole. I happen to have an excellent "Hank's Hardware" in my town and I would ask them to special order the fitting and the tap. That would probably be cheaper than buying a whole new carb.
Good luck."

"Thank you Mike. I'm about

"Thank you Mike. I'm about to tear into some older 75's and 100's and this post got my attention. I consistently buy and replace the carburetor fuel bowls on the newer 8's and 20's because of the accelerator pump bores wearing out. But, from what you told George here, you can only purchase a complete carb and not the pieces on the older units? If that's the case, I'm probably going to be doing some fabrication of my own soon.

I saw on another post that you were recovering from surgery. Get well soon my friend."

"Jimmy,

As far as I know, y

"Jimmy,

As far as I know, you can still get fuel bowls, etc for the newer models that you work on.

George broke the fuel inlet nipple, which is on the body of the carburator. The only way that I know of to purchase that is to buy the entire carburator."

"OK, that makes sense. I guess

"OK, that makes sense. I guess it will be quite a bit cheaper to try and repair the nipple then. Thanks for the input."

"This is George telling what I

"This is George telling what I did. I got the carb on the bench and used emery cloth to clean the hole and all around the carb in that area. I had the nipple and cleaned it up also. Held the nipple in place with a C clamp and used a torch plus flux and solder and sodered it in place. Piled solder around the base of the nipple and it is more solid than new. I then put primer and gray top coat and it looks like new. By the way on inspection of where the nipple attached the inside was a brass albow into the bowl and the nipple was only really minutely attached say 1/8th of an inch. The engine runs like new.

Thanks all, George"

Back