Logo

Tamd41a

nineg

"I'm thinking of repowerin

"I'm thinking of repowering my 25ft luhrs sportsman from 1972. currently has a chrysler 318.

I don't know much about diesels, but know that they tend to be more economical and more power at lower rpms.

I've found a used Volvo TAMD41A. it had antifreeze in the oil, so they pulled it apart and determined that it needs a head gasket. before pulling the engine apart they did a compression test, and compression was fine.

question is: should i be worried about more than just a head gasket here? could there be potential for much more damage?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks"

"Any idea of the number of hou

"Any idea of the number of hours clocked and type of use it had and fresh or salt and how much ur paying 4 it? too many variables, or could be something really simple....who decided (qualification of mechanic) and what lead to this conclusion... that it was a head gasket problem? Bad question to ask the board without alot more info."

"If it had a bad head gasket,

"If it had a bad head gasket, how could the compression be fine? If the head is cracked or warped it will need to be replaced. A good machine shop will be able to "deck the block" and test the head (pressure test valves, check surface for trueness). If this goes well, they should stand behind their work. I also agree with Sailor about hours and price. Make sure the price reflects the fact that the engine was repaired and not rebuilt."

"Yeah, no way compression is f

"Yeah, no way compression is fine - if head gasket is cracked and leaking coolant...you would lose pressure through there into coolant passage. Be careful!

Also, 41A is known to smoke alot, way more than 41B, and newest model 41P (41 series is discontinued, but they came out in that order A - B - P). "

"thanks all. I didn't go

"thanks all. I didn't go for it. it was priced fairly low, and that was kind of a warning flag anyway."

Back