Logo

BF75S Not firing

hondadude

Outstanding Contributor
"Now that you mention it....

"Now that you mention it....

I had a customer a year ago that called from another state looking for one. Honda could not give me any specific leads...but...

I happened to have one of the BF75 in for service. Resistance wise and physically, the pulser coil is the same as the one used on a later model BF8 (Model BF8AY for example) 30310-881-A01...less than $40.00 on boats.net. The only physical difference as I remember is the connector on the end.

I had a used one and sent it to him. He spliced in his old connector and it worked.

I don't know if I have any more used ones. I will not be back to work for a few days...recovering from surgery."

"Thanks Mike, I did find the B

"Thanks Mike, I did find the BF8 BF8AY 30310-881-A01 and ordered it. $45.00 I'll try it and let you know if it works or not. Thanks Man!"

"Hope the pulser does the tric

"Hope the pulser does the trick.

You asked about a cdi. I may have one for a bf8ay but I am not sure if it will work with your motor. I would almost be willing to bet that it would with connector modifications.

Before you go out and buy one, you should check the voltage coming from the exciter coil coming from under the flywheel. This sends a high voltage around 100 + volts to the cdi.

If you have the non digital type of volt ohm meter and set it to ac, you can get a good enough reading. It should be a peak to peak volt meter but any good vom will do as long as you remember that the readings you get are lower than what they really are.

The voltage coming out the the pulser coil will be quite small...about .5v ac

If all is well with those, check at the coil input and you should see around 100v or more.

Remember to keep your kill switch/stop switch disconnected while you test to eliminate that as a problem.

This may sound crazy, but you should also disconnect your oil light. It is a neon type lamp (which does not normally short out). If there is an internal short, it will act like a stop switch and kill the spark. I have seen it happen.

Again, do not forget to check the neutral safety switch to be sure that is working correctly, or take it out of the ciruit by wiring across it.

I do not see that you said you had a repair manual, but if you need a circuit diagram to help you with colors,etc., there is one at the back of the owner's manual.

You can download one for free from the Honda web site http://marine.honda.com/owners/manuals"

Thanks mike. I just got my new

Thanks mike. I just got my new pulser today. I'll let you know how it works. Question: how far apart should the "pulser contact and the lope on the cam" be apart?

"I can not find any particular

"I can not find any particular gap setting. I think as long as it does not rub, it should be ok.

Most of its movement is side to side to set the timing."

It looks like the pulser did t

It looks like the pulser did the trick. I just put it on an reset the timing and got good spark from the plugs!!!! Thanks Again Mike. Jimmy

Back