Logo

Thermoking by yanmar

layzboy2011

"Hi, I was wondering if anybod

"Hi, I was wondering if anybody has information on my 3 cyl yanmar. it is model number tk-366-s the displacement is ~.6l I need to know the horsepower rating and what kind of transmission will bolt to it. Thanks for any help."

These engines were made on spe

These engines were made on spec for Thermoking by Yanmar. These engines ran compressors for refrigeration at 1800 rpm. From memory I can not recall the flywheel size or SAE housing. However the governor is regulated for constant 1800 and not at all good for vehicle or marine use

"Yanmar got back to me finally

"Yanmar got back to me finally, and said that the engine is rated for 14hp at 2200. they also agreed with you in that it is no good for marine use. But, if i geared the boat right 14 hp is all i need. The plans call for 5-20. Would that work or would the motor burn out prematurely?"

You will not have any throttle

You will not have any throttle control as it is locked for 2200 rpm as they say. To change the governor over on some early Thermo-Kings from Industrial Yanmars was very expensive. The TK 366 is not interchangable to any Yanmar Industrial engines so you can not and they will not supply parts to make any changes because the model is propetary to Thermo-King. Also you do not have a water cooled manifold and the heat fromthe Industrial exhaust manifold causes to much heat. Your are trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Try to find and Marine diesel even used from a reputable dealer would make like much easier. It would come with a reverse gear. Good luck John

"actually, it has throttle con

"actually, it has throttle controll from idle to 2200 rpm. I was planning a dry exhaust anyway. I understand that it is not ideal, and I will probally end up buying a marine engine anyway. The gearbox is apperantly giong to cause me more grief than anything else on this boat."

Back