Logo

2001 25 hp merc bogging down

switchback

"I have 2001 merc. 25hp 2-stroke, Motor cranks fine,idles fine, and runs top end fine. Problem is in take off, no matter how long motor idles, when you first give it gas it bogs down for a few seconds and then takes off fine."

"Thanks Jeff, tried that adjus

"Thanks Jeff, tried that adjustment, not much change. Went ahead and tried setting this adjustment like the book says, and everywhere in between. Still not much change. Did remove fuel filter and it appeared to be clean, did however find a caramel colored hard substance "very small amount" in the bottom of the filter bowl. Not enough to stop it up though. Not sure what it was, removed it. Acts like the jets in carb might be restricted? Can I clean carb without removing?"

no you cant. just pull them of

no you cant. just pull them off and clean really good. blow air through all the holes and then put em back on

"That "stuff" you foun

"That "stuff" you found is most likely varnish (often caused by non-stablized gas sitting in the carb).

It may have gummed your carb jets a bit or the float valve.

So as David states the carb must be removed, disassembled and soaked/cleaned with carb cleaner.

Inspect the jets/needle valves for distortion and at least replace the gaskets/seals.

Then ALWAYS run stablized gas.

Even if you always run fresh gas and disconnect the tank and let her "run out", unless you pull and drain the carb it will retain some gas.

That gas then gets old in as little as two weeks and starts causing problems unless it's stablized..."

"Hi
I own a 2001 merc 15 hp

"Hi
I own a 2001 merc 15 hp
had it serviced because carb was dirty
It starts easily, trolls well, but after a few minutes going wide open it begins to lose power for a second and then returns to full power and so on and so on
any ideas to why this is happening would be appreciated
It doesn't seem to happen until the motor has been running for 5 min or so"

What was the extent of the &#3

What was the extent of the "service".

Sounds like you still have a partially clogged jet or the fuel pump diaphram is on it's way out - both of which should have been taken care of in a proper cleaning/rebuild of the carb...

"Thanks for your input
Paid 2

"Thanks for your input
Paid 230 bucks to have it done right, but.....
I'll have to take it sdmewhere else and see what happens
My apologies to "Mathew's Owner" for interfering with his question, but i am a newbie and technically handicapped"

Back