Logo

2001 200 hp mercury efi

roscoe07

need some advice on what to ha

need some advice on what to have checked besides lower unit and compression ratio on a 200 merc 2001 yr model efi? i was told it should be checked using a computer at an athourized dealer. as they could tell the hours on the engine and also would show any earlier life mechanical problems the engine may have had? im spending a good deal of money on this boat and im worried i may have to rebuild it maybe sooner than i have the funds to do so?please any advice for rookie boat owner is helpfull??

"Yep, take her into a dealer a

"Yep, take her into a dealer and get a printout from a DDT.

It will tell you if all the sensors and the computer are working etc. and depending on what "software" the model has (I know next to nothing about what's running what) they can tell if there has been an overheat etc.

In addition to the DDT, compression tests (for both the cylinders and the lower unit) I would get a "leak down" test which will give the tech a better indication of the powerheads (health) than a simple compression test.

In general is difficult to try and predict if/when a motor will need a rebuild.

If the motor is used consistently this particular model generally has a lifespan of 800-1200 hours.

However, far more motors die due to "lack of use".

If this particular model has less than 500 hours on it, it has been "sitting around". At 9 years old that would barely be 50 hours of use a year which roughly equates to "only used on long weekends".

Motors like that tend to lack the required annual maintenance - people just don't drop maint money on something they rarely use.

So "low hours" doesn't always equate to "good motor" and I would be highly suspect of any 9-10 year old motor that had under 200 hours of use.

I'm not saying it's no good, I would however, make sure it was well checked out. It's motors like that where you find original impellers...."

Back