Logo

Water leak from spark plug

scouser

can anyone help me I like an i

can anyone help me I like an idiot bought an merc 70/75 hp outboard from ebay.
it came in 2 halves (power head & gear box i eventually got it back together and put it on my boat and when i started it it would only run on fast idle and water comes out of no1 spark plug
has anyone any idear what it could be. (Besides me being riped off ) thanks gareth

"Hey Gareth,
I'm not that

"Hey Gareth,
I'm not that familiar with the smaller motors but I assume that it has a water jacket that is bolted to the top of the head. These have a small round gasket that stops the water from leaking out which would in turn appear to be coming out of the spark plug itself. Just something you may want to check before getting too upset.

Good Luck!"

"Right. There's no separat

"Right. There's no separate heads on those motors, just a water jacket cover that looks like one. Easy fix.

Jeff"

Thanks for your help guys. Bei

Thanks for your help guys. Being new to outboards i dont know what a water jacket cover is or looks like. I will check the manual and see if that helps.

Gareth

"just take all the bolts off t

"just take all the bolts off the cover around the sparkplugs, there you will find the gasket. Easiest to remove plugs also. Install new gasket and torque bolts to 120 in/lbs if I remember correct. Be sure carbs are clean or engine will run without oil/gas on the bad carb and trash itself. You should do a compression test, spark test to see if engine is worth buying parts for..."

thanks for your help that is g

thanks for your help that is great and it is nice to speak to people who know what thay are on about and prepared to help

Gareth

Back