Logo

Mariner age

"That is a 1991 Yamaha built &

"That is a 1991 Yamaha built (for Merc) "C" model Mariner.

It is an exact duplicate of Yamaha's own model 40FM which was built between 1981-83.

This makes the exact model year somewhat unimportant as no "new technology" went into the design post 1983, such that any parts from any year of "C" model Mariner (or the early 80's Yami models) can be used as replacements..."

There were/are a great motor a

There were/are a great motor and alot of parts (at least most maint parts) are still available through Merc dealers.

The 40 C model was the most popular Yami/Mariner on the planet but like any motor that really stopped production about 27 years ago (Yami used available stock to continue to produce the Mariner models for almost 10 years after the design was scrapped) certain parts are getting difficult to find.

For that reason alone I consider these a "semi-disposable" motor now. If something (major) goes it is often cheaper to get a replacement than fix this model....

Thanks for that Graham. I dont

Thanks for that Graham. I dont know a lot about outboards as you will find out. I want a Charging system of some sort fitted to the motor so it charges the battery whilst under way rather than having to charge it every time after use. What is this called and can one be fitted to this model. Also can I get electric start fitted or not. Thanks.

"They have a number of differe

"They have a number of different names - charge coil, charge stator, lighting coil (depends who you talk to).

On your model it was called a "lighting coil assembly" and it has been long discontinued.

You could possibly find used parts from a similar vintage electric start model but I personally would not bother.

These models put out limited "charge" power, such that they could keep a "fully charged" battery "topped up" if it had a minimal draw (nav lights and maybe a fishfinder).

Additionally, all rectified power sources (common on outboards) work on a linear scale, so if it has a 6 amp system it only puts out 6 amps at full throttle - at idle it's barely putting out an amp.

So if you add a trolling motor in particular you would have to run at wide open throttle for about 12 hours solid to recharge a group 24 battery (and that is common on many outboards, regardless of mfg upto/including 75-90 horse models until very recently) - they just didn't do much more than "trickle charge" the battery.

If you still want to go that way you would need a lighting coil and a rectifier (retailed for about 200 bucks when they were available).

One last question for ya, is the oil pump/system still intact on your motor?

Yours should have the gear driven oil pump - and it is a good system if it's working. Just make sure it is before you try running straight gas..."

No. The oil system has been re

No. The oil system has been removed. There must have been a sight glass in the cowling as there is now a plastic insert been placed there now. I haven't used this motor yet so I am guessing it will run at 50:1? My previous boat I had was a yamaha and it ran at 100:1. Thanks.

"Yes, 50:1.

More recent Yam

"Yes, 50:1.

More recent Yamaha's are built to run at 100:1, but none of the Mariner line...."

Back