Logo

135 runs eratically over 2600 rpm no gain in speed bucking

"A few questions...

1. Did

"A few questions...

1. Did the problem show up all of a sudden? Or gradually?

2. Does it run rough at idle? At higher speeds?

3. Have you filled up with fuel recently? Bad fuel? If so, you may want to borrow a 6 gallon portable tank with known good fuel, flush the system, including the vapor separator with the new fuel and give it a try.

4. Do you have four indicator lights on your dash? Overheat, Oil Pressure, MIL, and Charge?

5. If you have the lights, do any come on when the problem happens?

6. Any audible alarm?

7. Have you drained you vapor separator? Instructions for how to do it are in the storage section of the owner's manual. What does fuel look like? If you do not have a manual...check here for free download http://marine.honda.com/Owners/Manuals/models/BF135

8. What did your spark plugs look like when you changed them? All the same? Any water on them?

9. Has any mechanic done a compression test? Findings?

10. Does this happen if you if you try it immediately after starting the engine cold?

11. Once this happens, have you stopped the engine, turned the key off, and restarted the engine to try again? Results?

12. What does your oil look like? How is the level? Recently changed?

13. Are you physically getting full throttle? See any mechanical issues with the throttle or linkage?

It is going to be hard to pinpoint a problem without an HDS or at least an SCS Service Connector. 070PZ-ZY30100 (you can get one from boats.net for around $15)

Basically, you have to figure out if it is fuel, electrical(spark), compression, overheat, or some other issue.

Unless it is something obvious, you may still have to have a mechanic, who knows four stroke motors, look at it...to check compression and at least check high pressure fuel pressure. There is no easy way on the 135 to check spark that I know of without the HDS.

I know this was a lot a questions and no answers, but you have to start somewhere."

I have a 2000 honda 90hp. and

I have a 2000 honda 90hp. and need to remove and clean carburetors. Can't seem to find all the bolts to remove air cleaner. My seloc manual doesn't show my model. Any help? thanks

"Sadhu,

You should really s

"Sadhu,

You should really start a new post for this issue.

Here is a picture of the parts breakdown for the muffler. The front part (part #4) has to come off first.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2000/BF90AY%20LRTA%20M ARINE%20ENGINE%2C%20JPN%2C%20VIN%23%20BBBL-4200001/MUFFLER%20COVER/parts.html

To take the carburators off, the Honda manual says to remove the intake manifold (part #24) and all the carburators with the intake as an assembly. Here is a link to a picture of the intake manifold and carburator breakdown.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2000/BF90AY%20LRTA%20M ARINE%20ENGINE%2C%20JPN%2C%20VIN%23%20BBBL-4200001/CARBURETOR/parts.html

I highly recommend purchasing a Honda Repair manual to help you through it. It will be worth the investment."

thanks Mike- I didn't real

thanks Mike- I didn't realize I was adding to this post. Did get the carbs off though. thanks again

"Jay,

One thing I did not s

"Jay,

One thing I did not suggest (but is very basic)...

Check all of the connections to the various sensors on the motor. Make sure that all the wires are still connected and not knocked off by putting the engine cover on."

Hi, I have the same issue on a BF115, it runs smoothly from idle to 2600rpm and then runs rough and does not get anymore speed; that's in gear in the water. When the engine runs not in gear, it picks up 4500rpm... what was the outcome of the issue on your 130hp?

Back