Logo

Rebuild Nisson NS8B lower unit

gkolc

I found water in the lower uni

I found water in the lower unit so we took it apart to fix. Replaced the drive shaft bearing and 2 prop shaft bearings. Had to clean off the fwd and rev. gears that were covered with crud. Cleaned off the clutch dog assembly and cleaned off the pinion gear and found that it is not bolted to the drive shaft what’s up with that? anyone done this before? When I replaced the drive shaft bearing I found it hard to figure exactly where to set it on the drive shaft. There was a clean mark on the shaft where the old one was so I pressed the new one to that spot. I replaced the water pump and now I am ready to attach the lower unit to the power head.
I can see that the drive shaft moves up and down about .050 is that normal I wonder. I bought a Clymer manual for 30$ and I will send it back it shows very little about this procedure. sorry so long
Gary

"I now have my service manual

"I now have my service manual and it does have lots of info but some areas are somewhat vague.
There is a parts blowup on pg 6-17 that shows a pinion gear "B" nut but this not is not found in the parts catalogue for the 8 or 9.8 model. If I am not mistaken the 8 + 9.8 pinion gear just slides on the drive shaft and is not permanently attached? I am a student in a marine Tech school and both the instructor and I feel the same way.
As for the drive shaft bearing location, the book has no information on how to position it and I am still trying to figure that one out. With the bearing placed in the same place as it was before the drive shaft moves up and down slightly now that the entire lower unit is assembled. The fact that there is no pinion nut makes it easy for this to happen. I might just put it together and see how it runs I can always bring it in the shop and start over.
Anyone else been down this road?

Thanx Gary"

"The manual covers a variety o

"The manual covers a variety of engines so not all diagrams are accurate for every engine in that section. You are correct that the pinion gear just slides onto the driveshaft.

The manual goes into detail on how to measure, with the factory tools, on everything in that lower unit. Start reading from 6-17 to 6-40 for the complete procedure."

"Thank you again for your help

"Thank you again for your help. When I am done I will have learned quite a bit about this model, for sure! Time to hit the books again.

Gary"

Back