Logo

1988 Mercury 200hp Black Max

wild_card

"Hi I just bought the boat use

"Hi I just bought the boat used and the serial # is OB350099 and wanting to make sure this is right, because im not finding this number anywhere I have looked to make sure im getting the right parts. and this boat place here has giving me the wrong parts many times. Im having charging problems I think voltage reads at battery 15.5 volts when running. It has a new battery I put in a new rectifier. I checked voltage at the regulater it has only 2 wires on it one is red and the other one is yellow both going to the rectifier the red one reads 14.5 and the yellow one reads 6.8 to 7 volts so is this right. and my tac is working also. and im also trying to find wiring diagrams on this but everything wants serial number and im not finding anything on this motor. I appreciate any help I can get on this."

Your serial makes it a 1988 mo

Your serial makes it a 1988 model.

Your charge voltage of 15.5 sounds about right (between 13.5-16.5 could be considered in the "normal" range).

The (important) voltage coming from the rectifier is the red feed. The rectifier is converting the AC produced by the charge stator into DC.

"Thank you so much this was a

"Thank you so much this was a big help.I wondered why this guy had a seprate charger hooked to the main battery, I started tracing wires and some hot wires grounded, and looked at fuse panel seen blown fuses, so I replaced the fuse panel with new and put new fuses in and they kept blowing. traced more and found that everything on the insterment panel and livewell pumps were wired wrong. now I have everything working again. thanks alot Graham this has helped me alot."

'88 engine might not have

'88 engine might not have a regulator. 15.5 is a little high. Use a flooded battery you can top off the water every month.

"But it does have one look at

"But it does have one look at pic # 37 this is the voltage regulator.
376471.png"" alt=""

"This is the boat im trying to

"This is the boat im trying to restore, starting to look pretty good for a 1988 21'. It didnt even shine when I bought it. I did alot of wet sanding on this one.

376495.jpg
"

"I also see #17 in your diagra

"I also see #17 in your diagram which is a rectifier.

Rectified power (which is unregulated) definately requires the use of a Marine battery which acts as a regulator in the system.

Since your diagram shows both you need to confirm what exactly is on your particular motor and what is hooked to what.

If the charge system is simply hooked to the rectifier, then the 15.5 volts is fine but you should run a Marine battery...."

"Yes on number 37 and the 2 wi

"Yes on number 37 and the 2 wire harness 39 wires in to the # 17 rectifier. I have a marine deep cycle battery. ok the 2 yellow wires from stator hook into the rectifire and the rest of them go into the switch box, there is a red wire that comes out of the main harness hooks into the rectifier I dont know where this wire goes to."

"On regulator #37 has red and

"On regulator #37 has red and yellow wires which is # 39 harness, this wires in to rectifier #17 red wire is on bottom post in pic and the yellow is on the right, and the 2 yellow wires from stator are on both top post which is #17.
There is a grey wire on top left post which I think goes to tac.
and a red wire on bottom post in pic that goes to the main harness, I dont know where it runs to."

#37 is the regulator. Than it

#37 is the regulator. Than it is probably bad. I don't think you can buy it anymore.
I used to take it out. Only 16 amps anyway.
And no needed in a bass rig with all the well pumps running all the time anyhow. The red wire finds it's way back to the start solenoid.

Re: the serial number is not OB350

Hey guys I need some help asap my dad just gave me a black max Mercury oil injections 200hp but I don't know what year it is the serial number is 0b156124 if anyone can help me out it be great..

Back