Logo

Volvo KAD 44 Starting problem

davidw525

"I wonder if anyone can help.

"I wonder if anyone can help. I have a pair of Volvo Penta KAD44 EDC of year 2000 vintage and one of them will not start. The starter turns the engine over for say 1.5 seconds and then the starter disengages as if it has been turned off. No EDC fault codes are generated. I have tried everything I can think of - the starter has been off the engine and down to the shop but returned no fault found, I have checked all battery cables for cleanliness and security, I have earthed the starter direct to the battery, I have by passed the master switch. I have swapped all relays in the EDC box and broken and remade all connections I can find. It just seems as if the starter is being cut off by the system for a reason. If I was honest my gut feeling is this engine turns over a little slower that the other engine. It seems to turn over a bit faster if the batteries are linked together with the battery changeover switch. When the fault first started to occur engaging the changeover switch would overcome it. This fault has been getting worse over a couple of months and has reached the point where it will not start at all. Access to this starter is difficult and is even worse on the other engine. For this reason I have not swapped the starters from one engine to the other but in the absence of any ideas that is next!
All ideas gratefully received – I cant be the first to have this snag…can I?

Let me know if more information is required."

Rumor has it that 14 years later, he's still in that engine compartment. Wife left, kids left, hasn't muttered a word to anyone since that fateful day, February 18, 2010.

Back