Logo

OIl tank 2005 115 hp

Does anyone know if a 2005 115 opti DFI
1. has a float switch in the oil tank or just the senser
2. does this oil tank need to work under pressure.
the oil cap feels as though its not sealing tight. Still getting continuos alarm only at low RPM after the motor has run for a while. I am going to pull the oil tank and start checking things. thanks

"The Opti's have Merc'

"The Opti's have Merc's best (oil sensor) system.

There is a float switch in the (on-board) tank and there is also a "motion sensor" located at the pump which detects if it's running or not.

Additionally, the entire oil system is (pressurized) such that crank case pressure is used to replentish the on-board tank from the remote oil tank so if you have an air leak the system can not refill itself from the remote tank."

Thanks Graham
My oil tank is

Thanks Graham
My oil tank is located on the engine block under the cowling. Would this be the same has the on board system.

"No, to your question. The oil

"No, to your question. The oil tank Graham is referring to is the one on the boat. The line that pressurizes the system comes from the block (power head)and goes into the tank, the pressure then pushes oil up to the oil tank under the cowling. If you want see if it is working, loosen the cap on the tank under cowling while the engine is running, oil will over fill the tank allowing it to seep out of the loose cap. Hope this helps you to under the system a little better."

I do not have any onboard tank

I do not have any onboard tanks. I do not see where they would even hook up to. Am I missing something here? The selco manual is not clear on this. Thanks for your response

"Maybe they figure that you do

"Maybe they figure that you don't need extra oil. On my 200 hp Mercury, the engine tank only held enough oil for about 20 minutes of running. I don't know any more about your situation."

A 115 will not have a remote t

A 115 will not have a remote tank. That was optional. There is a float switch in that tank. That is all. Perhaps you are overheating it.

Throw out the Selock book. Get an O.E one.

Don't forget to check the

Don't forget to check the air pump for heat. That has it's own cooling system and hoses. There is a seaweed strainer that can clog up.
What you need is an I/R temp gun. They start at ~$100. (Must have tool)

Back