Logo

1977 50 hp 50050 cd ign no spark

pilot481

Regular Contributor
"well I was hopeing I was done with this. Darn its 67 degrees out side and sun shine . Im cursed I guess.
Just tried starting my 50 hp 77 merc and got no spark. First time starting it since carb rebuild. New batterys,plugs, fuel system, ready to go fishin! Not!!!! after some trouble shootin I found that the two wires from the stator to the rectifier were frayed and touching. Did I fry something? I cant find any thing else that might be the cause of no spark. It did pop once, just once on one cylinder. The wireing diagram matches the one for C/D ign. HELP Please!!!!"

"thing is about the wireing di

"thing is about the wireing diagram. The pic matches what I have, but the application is different. This is a 77, by serial #, 4 cylinder with the red stator. I had this motor running and it always started easy but the carbs hadnt been touched in about 7 yrs so I put kits in. When I went to start it today for the first time since the carb rebuild, it wouldnt fire, plugs are new, clean and wet, fresh premium fuel. At this point, ANY ideas would be most appreciated!!"

The charging coil is not conne

The charging coil is not connected with the ignition on that motor--it will run without a battery--so look for something else. Start with disconnecting the kill and the tilt switch wires.

Jeff

"was the frayed wires on the t

"was the frayed wires on the tilt switch. When I pulled the front trim plate, to get at the carbs I pushed the bare wire against the frame... One more time Jeff hits it on the head!!!!

Thanks Jeff!!! WOOO HOOOO!!!!! and hooo Haa~!"

Back