Logo

1999 2 HP needs lower unit thoughts on cost

bobct

Advanced Contributor
"I'm going to look at an air cooled/4 stroke Honda that runs fine but lower unit is shot (seal failed, water got in).

What would you guess (parts wise) would it be to rebuild the entire lower unit?

Are there any online manuals I could take a look at to see what's involved?

thanks,
Bob"

"Bob,

The parts are less th

"Bob,

The parts are less than $300 if you replace every gear, bearing and seal in the thing.

The unit itself is pretty straight forward. Check out the parts diagram.

376307.jpg

I can not comment on the Seloc manual....I only use the Honda Manuals. http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?session=389DD7B57A8A4A40BC6B334D83856607&Style=helm&Mfg=AHP&Make=MAR&Model=OUTB&Year=&Category=1&Keyword=&Module=&selected%5Fmedia="

"Mike, that's a big help,

"Mike, that's a big help, thanks. I think I can get it for $100 and cosmetically it looks great. So, it might be a good deal.

I assume some of the stuff is salvageable.

The model is a BF2D and has the silver case. I believe that's around a 2003. Does that seem about right?

Bob"

"You originally said a 1999.

"You originally said a 1999. That is the start of the BF2D series. I can be more accurate with your serial number.

Also, when you order your parts, be sure to order using the serial number on the frame of the motor."

"Mike,

I was sort of guessi

"Mike,

I was sort of guessing based on the appearance in my fisrt post. Just wanted to narrow down the age somewhat.

BUT, the unit turns out to be a long shaft after all. Is there an easy way to convert to a short shaft?

Probably not worth it but thought I would ask.

thanks,
Bob"

"You would have to change the

"You would have to change the vertical shaft and shaft bushing. They probably cost about $100.

By the time you add your labor time and find out what else is wrong (carb issues, etc.) in addition to the other lower unit issues...it may not be such a bargain.

For example, we have a 2005 2 hp Honda that has some time on it, but has recently gone through for $595. There are probably others out there like that.

If you are looking for a project, it is probably one of the easiest motors to work take apart and work on."

Back