Logo

GrahamJustintime 2003 200 hp

cobb

Contributing Member
"200 efi mariner 2003, goes very well in general..but every now and then motor won't start(hot or cold).Only way to start then, is to get control in neutral and high revs, start quick and jam into gear again(big smoke cloud)...someone suggested motor is "flouded" or over-fueled, causing all that smoke...plugs new but had them re-checked for gap..(now reset at 1mm)...any suggestions?...Now motor bogs down at pull-away..Will get my Seloc manual soon...what pages will i have to turn to first??"

"I will make a couple of assum

"I will make a couple of assumptions here -

First, assume there is no faults with either the ECU or the various sensors that feed it.

Second, assume that you are not either disconnecting the fuel line or closing a fuel valve and letting the motor run out of gas which would cause an "oil flood" resulting in very hard starts and lots of smoke.

So, if neither of those are the issue I would suspect either,

a restriction in one of the bleed lines or the bleed system filter - a clog in either could result in excess fuel

or, a stuck float in the vapour separator which could result in an extremely rich condition.

However, I will wait for Richard to give his opinion since he is far more familiar with these (big) fuel injected motors than I am..."

Back