Logo

2010 90tldi water pressure gauge

bwtaco

My new flats boat is being rig

My new flats boat is being rigged with a new 2010 md90 and I want a water pressure gauge rigged with the motor.The dealership is telling me that the Md90 does not have a designated attachment point for the water tubing that goes to the psi gauge.Therefore the only way to rig a water press. gauge is to tie into the water output tube(pee tube) and thus the water psi gauge will be nowhere close to accurate..Does tohatsu have any other way to rig this to get an accurate psi reading?

"You can drill and tap into th

"You can drill and tap into the block or head and get a higher(true) PSI reading. But, why bother? The method your dealer is recommending is going to do exactally what you need, albet, on a smaller scale. IE The range will be smaller, but it will still you the difference between a healthy pressure and a lower pressure."

Thank you sir.I also confirmed

Thank you sir.I also confirmed this before I recieved your reply with a Tohatsu rep. and he told me the same.He also stated that the Md 90's cooling system works more off of volume than with pressure.And so tohatsu doesn't reccomend that a water pressure gauge be necessary per say.I was just a little concerned because I would not have dreamt of not having a water psi gauge on my last couple of "non tohatsu" powered flats boats.Thank you again guru for your quick and imformative reply..Can't wait to try the new tohat out!

"On any application, other tha

"On any application, other than a flats boat with a jack plate, a pressure gauge is just an idiot gauge for the dash. But, in your application, if you have a jack plate I would recommend putting one in. With the ability to raise the engine vertically comes some increased risk."

"Thanks guru.The dealer thats

"Thanks guru.The dealer thats rigging the motor has done a bunch of md90's on the specific hull I'm getting.The hull does require a hydrolic jack plate to optimize the tunnel design.He has rigged a couple with the water psi gauge by splicing into the water output on a few but he said that the pressure only varries from 0psi at idle to 3psi at WOT...Really not enough psi to give an accurate indication of enough water coming in..On the other hand,not one of these hulls rigged with the md90 has had any lack of water(overheat)problems no matter where the jack plate is set..So,he reccomends no water psi gauge needed."

"I disagree with him[img][/img

"I disagree with him
The PSI, with a good gauge and the splice should be reading between 4.5 and 5.2 PSI. Of course the number itself isn't going to be important as what you would be looking for is just a sudden drop from whatever is normal. But, I'm sure he knows his boat combination better than I do. If he says no risk, then so be it
"

"Also, make sure he puts in at

"Also, make sure he puts in at least a 1000 CCA battery. Droping in an 850(fine today) is going to cause issues within two years."

"Thank you again guru.For now,

"Thank you again guru.For now,I think i'll go with what the dealer suggested and wait on the water psi gauge..He is a very workable/reputable individual and if a need for the gauge arises,he'll set me up.He has a bunch of these rigs/with jack plates out running without the gauge with 0 problems...and the battery,dealer said 1000cca's AGM it is.Guess that 850cca would loose some punch after a couple years and cause problems.Thanks for all your help."

"I have a water pressure gauge

"I have a water pressure gauge on my charter boat and it has saved me potential overheat situations more than once. In my opinion if the overheat alarm goes off on an aluminum block you are in a 50-50 likely hood warped surfaces or gasket damage. (heads & water jacket) The gauge allows you to recognize a drop in water pressure and shut it down well before the alarm goes off. You may never need it, but when new 4 strokes are up around 20K a $75 gauge is a good investment in prevention!!!"

Do you recomend the same for a

Do you recomend the same for a 40D on a
jackplate? Will the pressure # be the same on
the 40D? Thnaks for the info.

"Yes, anytime a jackplate is u

"Yes, anytime a jackplate is used a pressure gauge should be considered mandatory. The actual pressure number can vary depending on where the tap is placed and age of the existing pump...But, the numbers will probably be the same or even slightly higher on the 40/50 D frame."

Back