Logo

Water in Lower Unit 1991 90 hp

vane

Regular Contributor
"1991 mecury 90 HP 3 cylinder.I just drain my lower unit and found about a quart of water in it,Im geussing I have a seal or two leaking ,which seals should I order.and will I be able to do it my self or should I take it to a shop to have it done.Thanks"

"Yikes! That's a lot of w

"Yikes! That's a lot of water. You'll need to replace all of the seals and O-rings, plus take a good look at the bearings as well.

Jeff"

"Is this something I will be a

"Is this something I will be able to do,and how many seals am I looking at,If possible what are the names of the seals ,that I need to order?
uhoh.gif
"

"It can be a bit of a chore, p

"It can be a bit of a chore, particularly if the bearing carrier is seized into the housing.

You MUST have at least a Seloc's manual before you undertake a reseal.

Merc has a complete "seal kit", part number 26-43035A4 which retails for about 65 bucks, available from any Merc dealer, that contains everything you need..."

"Ok , I have a Seloc's I j

"Ok , I have a Seloc's I just ordered from this site, Im waiting to get hear in mail,will I need to press seals in or can I use a socket of the same size and tap it in with hammer?"

"The "seals" are reall

"The "seals" are really about 5 gaskets, a couple of bushings and an o-ring or two which you simply place by hand.

The trickiest part is getting the bearing carrier out of the gearcase. And this must be done since it is often the big o-ring around it's circumferance that is a point of leakage.

If the motor has always been fresh water run it's not bad at all - if she has seen salt water it can be a royal pain..."

"It sat in the gulf for 3 mont

"It sat in the gulf for 3 months Ive been scrapping barnacles for days ,so I'm sure it will be a Pain Thanks for the input.guess I will give it a try.Thanks again."

"would anyone have a diagram t

"would anyone have a diagram the parts,in the lower unit to steer me in the right direction for disassembling it maybe a pdf file,would be much appreciated haven't got my manual in mail yet.Thanks for the help."

Could the fill & drain plu

Could the fill & drain plug gaskets let this much water in. I have water in my lower but it not the same ever time(same hours). The only time there was no water is when i got into my water pump kit and used the plug gaskets.Got a pack of 50 just wondering

"I just got my seals in for my

"I just got my seals in for my lower unit,Went out to take a lock at lower unit to ponder,and I don't see shift linkage hook up,am I just over looking it,also when I get to water pump gaskets ,do I need to put silicone on the gaskets or is just the gasket enough.1991 mercury 90 HP 3 cylinder"

Back