Logo

Lifting boat motor 1991 200 hp

"Merc sells a lifting tool tha

"Merc sells a lifting tool that screws into the flywheel. Lacking that, pull the hood and run a chain across the top, using two convenient bolts.

Jeff"

"Prominently display a case of

"Prominently display a case of beer in your driveway. Very shortly you will attract 3 or 4 guys from the neighbourhood who can then help manhandle the motor off

An alternate to Jeff's method (which works fine) is to lift via the tilt tube (where the end of the steering cable went through).

A tripod made of 3 2x6"'s and a come-along work well. I have long since traded my come-along for an electric hoist but it works the same with a piece of quality rope or aircraft cable through the tilt tube.

You do however need a "spotter" since the motor will want to do a sommersalt on ya...."

If you know a machinist or som

If you know a machinist or someone in metal shop they can make you a lift nut from some 1.5"-16 t.p.i. allthread rod with a 1/2" threaded hole in the middle. Just screw it into the flywheel screw a 1/2" I bolt into it & jack it strate up.You can also use it as a flywheel puller just use a 1/2" bolt instead.(check that t.p.i.)

I have gotten the motor off an

I have gotten the motor off and would like to thank everyone for the advice Although you should make sure to sit away fron the beer ( took an extra day to lift motor) But the beer was good

Back