Logo

Flushing lower unit gearcase

wassajet

Contributing Member
"I have just drained the oil f

"I have just drained the oil from the gearcase & the oil was black,thick & smelt like coal gas.I will now change it more often.What i'd like to know is can i flush the lower unit & if so what would i use so that i don't damage the seals.Also the motor is about a 1985 8hp merc.could you tell me what spark plugs are the correct ones for this motor please...thanks Warren..."

Just let it drain overnight an

Just let it drain overnight and refill it with new oil.

Jeff

PS: It's supposed to stink like that.

"Your motor will be a little n

"Your motor will be a little newer than 85, the 8 horse hit the market in 1986 and shared it's powerhead with the 6 and 9.9's (upto 1994).

You should use NGK BP8H-N-10's gapped at .040"

Don't cross ref to a Champion plug. The ignition on these motors (Thunderbolt 4) needs the NGK's which can handle the 40,000 volts that it produces.

If they are absolutely not available in your area an "autolite" would be an acceptable (but not ideal) alternative..."

Thanks guys for your quick res

Thanks guys for your quick responses i've taken them onboard.Also are there any sites where i can view blowup diagrams of mercury motors...Thanks again...Warren.

"ya, just run those part numbe

"ya, just run those part numbers over here on what ya need!

we are cheaper over here"

"No dought you would be, our b

"No dought you would be, our blokes over here charge like a wounded buffalo. Thanks for your help mate...Warren..."

"if your up on the northeast o

"if your up on the northeast of AZ, i got a very very good yami dude over there!"

I don't know where the nor

I don't know where the northeast of AZ is.I'm on the mid north coast of NSW Australia.Thanks again ...Warren...

"Don't complain! You'

"Don't complain! You're into nice warm weather, Mate, where I have to shovel some more white crap!

Jealous Jeff"

"he is on the eastern side of

"he is on the eastern side of the land of OZ, LOL

I knew where you were because i looked at your profile, LOL"

"I get you now,your first post

"I get you now,your first post said north east of AZ. it had me wondering where AZ was.I know this isn't a chat room, so i wont carry on too much it's just nice to talk to people from other parts of the world especially when you guys are so helpful....PS. Fastjeff i'm not complaining mate, i wouldn't want to live anywhere else this is paradise,
sun.gif
...All for now,take care...Warren..."

Back