Logo

453T

rikki

Hi Guys I have a 31 Uniflite w

Hi Guys I have a 31 Uniflite with twin 453t's the boat is a 1974 which I took a whole year 4 days a week to restore except the engines which seemed to running ok at the time. Well to make a long story short I am also a charter captain and was doing sea trials before putting into service when a seal on the starboard engine went sount dumping 4 1/2 gallons of oil in the bilge in 26 seconds I limped back to port on one engine and at that point time to rebuild both engones and replace tanks and deck. This was in March of 06 I have been waiting 4 years for original parts from Detroit and to say the least am discouraged. The parts or most of them have finally arrived and I have dissasembled and painted most of the parts for reassembly. Now my question is have any of you had good luck with aftermarket kits and parts or having waited 4 years the right thing to do. Thanx for any input you'all may have Rik

"mostly aftermarkets are ok, b

"mostly aftermarkets are ok, but not made to same specs as dda, think you did right thing."

"Another reminder of why Ameri

"Another reminder of why America no longer seems to work. Aftermarket components have been getting iffier and iffier, to coin a phrase and it's a crapshoot as to what kind of quality you will recieve even if you got something reliable from a company in the past. BUT, having to wait for YEARS for an American company to respond is ridiculous and unacceptable! My guess is that IF you had found the RIGHT person in their system, that order could have been filled with a little more expediency. The rub is FINDING that person that cares about what he/she is doing and is willing to help. There are many resources for good, reuseable DDA parts but those too are beginning to get scarce as the parts are cannibalized and depleted."

"Thanx guys what I've been

"Thanx guys what I've been told is that detroit has changed hands 3 times since 05 and everytime they do they lose their foundries and have to start over at a new one by the time that one gets geared up there off to a new one very frustrating,add to the fact that when i bought this boat the motors had been changed from naturals to turbo's and had wrong pistons mismatched turbo's and injectors so it has been a ground up research project just to get the right specs for what I have and how to do it properly, because i don't want to have to take them out for a long time so I guess I'll have to be patient and when it's finally done I can jump up and down. Rik"

Back