Logo

M50D uneven rough idle

pjheckel

I have a Tohatsu M50D that I j

I have a Tohatsu M50D that I just got and it runs good at planing speeds but when I'm idling in gear its rough and uneven and has little jolts that you feel in the boat. In neutral its not the smoothest but its satisfactory. The carburetors are completely clean and I have 135 main and 74 idle jets. timing and idle mix screws are to spec and carbs are syncronized. My old yamaha 25Hp was always smooth as glass at any speed. Just want to know if this is normal or if something is wrong. It doesnt feel normal to me.

""Just want to know if thi

""Just want to know if this is normal"

No way to tell from a description. One person might look at it and think its smooth, another might look at it and think its rough. You would need to take it into a dealer and then rely on their opinion..."

"interesting, sounds like you

"interesting, sounds like you own a dealership!
Perhaps someone else who owns a 50D can help me out. the description is simple, by smooth I mean the thrust provided by the motor is even and consistent. by rough I mean you can FEEL little jerks and jolts in the thrust as the boat idles along in gear."

Paul

Both my 50D1 and 50D2

Paul

Both my 50D1 and 50D2 idle's more rough and uneven if I compare it to my Yamaha 40.

I have a Quick silver RPM gauge on and below 900rpm both really runs rough the D1 worse than the D2
I found if the Spline shaft of the box has play(and dry without grease) where it enters the engine it sounds worse

""interesting, sounds like

""interesting, sounds like you own a dealership"

Yes, I do.

"Perhaps someone else who owns a 50D can help me out."

Not really. Smoothness, roughness, jerks and jolts are subjective terms."

Back