Logo

Honda BF225 leaks at spark plug tubes

leolaur12

"The motor was dripping oil wh

"The motor was dripping oil whenever I stopped, discoloring the water. When I removed the cover, the starboard valve cover and Spark plug tubes were oil-soaked. A friend mentioned "O" rings might be the cause. Can anyone explain what the O rings do, where they are, and if a layman could repair them & how? Thanks"

"The o rings that your friend

"The o rings that your friend talked about are probably the seals that are in the valve covers that the spark plug tubes go through. They keep the oil inside the valve cover.

In order to change them you have to remove the valve covers.

It is not simple like an oil change unless you are really mechanically inclined and have a shop manual. You have to take a lot of things off to get to it.

You have to go through the same work as if you work going to adjust the valve clearances.

Valve clearances are supposed to be checked every 200 hours or every season.

Most people probably tend to ignore this work.

If you have not had yours done and your hours are 200 or greater, it would probably be good to have it done by a professional and have the seals changed while they have the valve covers removed.
The labor will only be a little more plus the cost of the seals ($3 -$4 each)"

"Mike

Thank you for taking

"Mike

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. The advice sounds very professional. I was really glad to hear that the labor charge will be so cheap. I will hold my Honda dealer to the cost of the O rings plus 10%

Regards,

Leo"

"re: " I was really glad t

"re: " I was really glad to hear that the labor charge will be so cheap. I will hold my Honda dealer to the cost of the O rings plus 10%"

First, let me assure you that I have no connection at all with ANY marine mechanics anywhere, however...

1) re: "labor charge will be so cheap". The ADDITIONAL labor cost to replace the seals will be cheap, but the labor charge to do the valve adjustment/check won't.

2) re: "will hold my Honda dealer to the cost of the O rings plus 10% ". If that was me, and I needed something done by a trained, skilled craftsman that I did not know how to do, and I needed it done right, I would NOT start the conversation with him by trying to hold him to a particular markup on a part (usually they charge you retail anyway and their discount from retail is none of your business). That is a very excellent way to identify yourself as a client who
a) knows nothing about boats
b) is likely to be a major PITA, and will be directly or indirectly charged a PITA tax.

You need to build a good relationship with a good dealer/mechanic. Telling him what he is going to charge you is not really a good way to start a relationship... but then again, it's your boat and your motor and it's a free country, so you are free to do what you want."

"Bob,

I was just trying to

"Bob,

I was just trying to add a little humor, did not mean to offend you. I well know that the labor charge will be substantial and I do appreciate that a good relationship with the mechanic is important."

Re: "The o rings that your friend

"The o rings that your friend talked about are probably the seals that are in the valve covers that the spark plug tubes go through. They keep the oil inside the valve cover.

In order to change them you have to remove the valve covers.

It is not simple like an oil change unless you are really mechanically inclined and have a shop manual. You have to take a lot of things off to get to it.

You have to go through the same work as if you work going to adjust the valve clearances.

Valve clearances are supposed to be checked every 200 hours or every season.

Most people probably tend to ignore this work.

If you have not had yours done and your hours are 200 or greater, it would probably be good to have it done by a professional and have the seals changed while they have the valve covers removed.
The labor will only be a little more plus the cost of the seals ($3 -$4 each)"

Hondadude, one of my sparkplug cylinders had some oil in it and the plug was not firing. It got in the bottom of the coil. I'm going to adjust my valves as soon as I can find this seal. I cannot find the part number for the seal that goes around the tube. Would you know what I need?

Back