Logo

Steering cable cleaning 1991 90 hp

vane

Regular Contributor
"my new - old 1991 mercury 90.The steering is really tough to turn,I am going to remove the rod at the end of the steering cable, that runs through the tube and try to clean rod an tubing ,any suggestion on what to use for a cleaner,I can see the rod has some hard grease on it.Can't imaging how the inside of the tube looks .Thanks in advance for info."

"well I have been reading thro

"well I have been reading through the forum,And it seems most likly ,im going to have to get a new steering cable,can anyone tell me what cable name- part # or size - diameter im looking for. 1991 mercury 90HP"

"About 90% of the steering sys

"About 90% of the steering systems out there were made by either Teleflex or Uflex and they are not dependant on the motor brand hanging off the transom.

To find a replacement you must remove the cable from your existing set-up.

It will normally be either a "rack" style or "rotary" style cable and if they helm style is still in production, the cable can be obtained from any number of marine suppliers (boat dealers, marine parts places etc).

The replacement cable is determined by the helm style and overall length of the cable.

You will often find that a new helm/cable combination can be obtained cheaper than the cable alone so that may be a better option - a dealer can advise...."

I used a gun cleaning rod with

I used a gun cleaning rod with a 12 gauge brush to clean the tube on my 115 merc. It screwed up the brush but the motor is smooth. And check the o-ring on the cover nut it may need a new one.

Back