Logo

Perkins 4236 tachometer

bigtimeoperator

"When the engine is started, w

"When the engine is started, while it's still fairly cold, the tach does not work, or sometimes is obviously reading incorrectly - too low if I remember. It's not until the engine has come up closer to operating temperature that the tach reads accurate rpms.

Any idea what would cause this or where I should look first to troubleshoot the problem?"

I have a Californian with twin Perkins 4-236. My Tack sending unit is a mechanical electrical unit located at the front of the engine. Looks like a [FONT=&quot]cylinder with two wires connected on terminals on the bottom. The cylinder unscrews form the driving gear. big nut on top of the cylinder. It might need to be lubricated.If your sending unit is bad you might be able to get a replacement from Gilmore-global Instruments 713 946 9133.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Some people replace the alternator with one which has a built in tack sending unit. To do this you must change out your tackometer if you are not using a alternator tack. On my boat it would mean replacing upper and lower stations and a bunch of rewiring.[/FONT]

Back