Logo

2007 15 hp leak

mercury_rookie

I just bought a 2007 15 hp Mer

I just bought a 2007 15 hp Mercury that didn't have any leaks when I bought it. I had it on its side for several days and then when it was placed vertically suddenly developed a leak around propeller region. I took off the propeller and am unable to clearly see the source of leaking which then suddenly stopped. The gear oil is full and not cloudy. How should I start figuring this out? Thanks!

"It may have just been some ex

"It may have just been some exhaust oil that gathered laying on its side. Run it and listen at low RPM, in gear, in water to see if it is growling.If so you could have a bad seal."

I checked the engine oil level

I checked the engine oil level and it is fairly low on the stick.
The oil that leaked out around the propeller was probably 1/8 of a cupful. Enough for me to figure that I had a problem.
I will do what you suggest. If I hear growling which seal is bad?

"First check the oil pump itse

"First check the oil pump itself. It has a gasket and an o-ring that seals it to the camshaft (looking at the head it will be mounted on the lower right hand side, below the number 2 cylinder).

If no leak is detected there then I would suspect the powerhead base gaskets.

The powerhead itself is separated from the housing (leg) by a pair of identical gaskets with an "oil deflection plate" sandwiched in between (so a total of 3 layers between the motor and leg - gasket/plate/gasket).

In particular, if the upper gasket is torn/worn it can allow oil to seep into the exhaust...."

I didn't hear any growling

I didn't hear any growling and the oil pump is not leaking. It is not "leaking" anymore now that it has been vertical for a couple of days. I guess that I will leave taking the powerhead base gaskets off until I see leaking again. The viscosity of the oil that was leaking was consistant with motor oil not gear oil so maybe it was just exhaust oil as suggested. Thanks for all the great advice.
One more question that I have that is probably very simple is: what is the steam like discharge that comes from the approx 1/2 inch hole/rubber grommet on the center lower back of the housing when the engine is running. I thought the exhaust is totally through the propeller?

"I believe you are talking abo

"I believe you are talking about the "exhaust relief hole".

If you have "steam" coming from there that could be an indicator that it's time to service the water pump.

If you have a "fine mist" or "spitting" of warm water, that would be considered normal. It is simply the exhaust pressure pushing some of the cooling water out of that hole which is there to help keep the exhaust pressure (correct) when the lower unit is submerged...."

Back