Logo

Oil alarm 2005 115 hp

I have a 2005 115 DFI optimax. The four beeps went off.I came in put more oil in.The next day after running for about an hour the continuos alarm went off and it went into shut down mode.Thank God I have two motors.I am thinking oil filter or pump.Any advise. Thanks

"The "guardian" doesn&

"The "guardian" doesn't tell you if the oil is actually getting to the motor, only if there is oil in the tank AND if the oil pump is getting power.

So you could have a situation where the oil pump fails completely, but if the tank is full and the connections are good, you don't get an alarm.

This has always bugged me that they never included a sensor to let you know if the oiler is actually pumping oil.

The 4 beeps would indicate "getting low" (along with the oil light if you have the smart gauge)in the "under the hood" oil tank and the steady alarm/safe mode (along with an oil light and check engine light) would mean the pump has lost electrical power.

The first thing I would check is the wiring to both the pump and the tank sensor - make sure a critter hasn't got under the hood and had a "munch" on the wires...."

"looking at the diagrams on li

"looking at the diagrams on line. I found no senser, only what was called a switch going up under the tank. Would this be what your refering to has the senser.Do you know if there is anyway to tell if the oil is pumping?
I agree this is deffinitly something Mercury should look into.I blew one engine over this same type of problem. Trying to catch this one before its to late. Thanks for your feed back."

"Yes, trust Merc to call it so

"Yes, trust Merc to call it something else

The "switch" on the tank under the hood is a low oil sensor. It is "normally closed", so you should get full continuity (near zero resistance with an ohm meter) if it's functioning properly with the tank full of oil.

The only way to ensure oil is pumping is with a test involving disconnecting the oil line and using a graduated cylinder (beaker) to check the flow (in cc's).

This is done at a dealer because you basically relieve all the system pressure so the pump loses prime.

Then using a DDT (digital diagnostic terminal) you "auto-prime" the oil system and measure the flow (without the engine running).

Not something you want to fiddle with in the backyard - the oil system on the Opti's is somewhat different and more complicated than that on a more conventional 2 stroke.

With the Opti, the oil and gas never mix outside of the cylinder, unlike every other 2 stroke oil injection system...."

"Hey thanks Graham
I will be

"Hey thanks Graham
I will be checking the electrical tommorow going to the pump and will also check continuity on the senser, also the oil filter.
Has for as the Dealer,There is none! I live on a island that does not even have a stop light let alone any boat dealers. I am it."

In that case you should really

In that case you should really get a factory service manual from Merc.

They go for about 80 bucks but you can probably use the info to devise some of your own methods...

Back