Logo

Oil or gas slick around motor

swimb8

"Any ideas, input greatly appr

"Any ideas, input greatly appreciated here. I have a slight slick of oil or gas on the water surface around one of my two Honda 50's when I put it in the water. I did notice that when I ran my motors last in the driveway (using trash cans) the slick first showed up in the can before the water level got all the way up - so it may be coming from the lower unit I suppose. Of note, my mechanic "Resealed both lowers" approx. 4 months ago after finding the port lower had water in the oil. The slick is coming from the stbd engine at this point.

Really appreciate it if you have any input - thanks.

PD"

"A reseal should last for 4 mo

"A reseal should last for 4 months unless something else in going on.

If you think it is gear lube, check the gear lube to see if there is any water in it.

Also, pull the prop and check to see if any fishing line is wrapped around the prop. If it is wrapped around the prop shaft, it could be cutting into the prop shaft seal.

If nothing obvious, a pressure and vacuum test should help analysis.

You could also be seeing motor oil or fuel.

As the motor is sitting, do a really good examination of the inside of the motor cover to see if any oil or fuel is present.

If the motor drips anything, smell it...it will be pretty obvious what it is from the smell.

If you can not find anything, it might be good to call your mechanic and ask his/her opinion. If may be that he saw something that may be causing the problem.."

I know with most 4 strokes it

I know with most 4 strokes it is hard not to have some oil laying in the engine cowl after a filter change. Is it possible that you are seeing this oil as it finds its way out of the cowl?

Thanks for the advice.

I di

Thanks for the advice.

I did have the lower unit resealed - would the possible gear lube problem you mention be separate from that?

"You had it resealed but thing

"You had it resealed but things happen...

If it is lube that you are seeing..

1. A seal could have been bad
2. A seal could have been damaged on install.
3. A seal could have been damaged by fishing line around the prop shaft that you may have picked since the reseal.
4. One of the fill screws could be loose

In other words it could be any number of things..if it is gearlube.

Either go through the steps I outlined above or take it back to the shop that worked on it.

Since they just had it completely apart, they are the most familiar with it. If they are a reputable shop and they damaged a seal as they put it in, they will admit it and fix it. If it is something else, they should be able to figure it out.

As Rollie said, it could just be some residual oil leaking down from the cowling from when the oil filter was removed. They usually make quite a mess.
Again, you still do not know if it is gear lube (lower unit), motor oil (engine) or fuel (engine or fuel system)"

"Thanks for the info - I reall

"Thanks for the info - I really appreeciate it. An update:

Checked the lower unit oil and found murky, pus-colored (milky yellow) oil in both engines. Took it to the mechanic, who looked at the fluid and confirmed water was getting in (on both engines). He did pressure and vacuum tests. They both failed the vacuum. I presume water was getting in but oil not getting out (though I saw a real slick on one side). He opened them up and found a "pinched" seal that wasn't set correctly on one side, but couldn't find a definite source on the other side. He did pressure and vacuum test both sides when done and said they were both good. Didn't charge me (I had this done 4 months ago).

I asked whether the saltwater getting in could have done permanent damage (corrosion) and he said no - the water will emulsify (or something along those lines) and it won't be a problem (unless it had sat in there for a long long time).

Based on my records, this is the second time this year the port engine has had a leak like this but no cause has been ID'd. The mechanic speculated that with age (engines have quite a few hours on them) there can be leaks developing even with good seals (something about the crankshaft or other shaft - I don't know exactly).

I'd like to know whether it's true that the salwater "intrusion" won't cause permanent damage. I plan to carefully monitor both engines for this in the future now that I know what to look for.

Also, does it make sense that with long hours on the engines there may be leakage apart from the seals? If so, what should I do about it? Just keep monitoring for water and changing the lube pretty often? Every few months? Once/year?

Long winded I know. Wanted to learn more and hopefully help someone esle out in the process who may have similar issues in the future.

THANK YOU,

PD"

"I do not have experience with

"I do not have experience with salt water (only fresh water)in lower units (I am in Ohio), but generally if there is water in the gear lube and you catch it soon without letting it sit, there should not be major damage. You still have more lube than water.

Your owner's manual says to change the gear lube every 6 months or 100 hours....whichever comes first. You may want to do it a little more often. Also, you may want to use high performance gear lube, if you are not already. It tends to help with water issues.

Unless it has a crack, the seals are where it leaks. On the 50's with a lot of hours, the shift shaft gets worn, develops rough areas on it, and makes a momentary opening in the shiftshaft seal. The "seal" is actually a boot. Sometimes it will not show up on a pressure/vacuum test. Sometimes it will if someone moves the shift shaft up and down during the test. The other seal that is tricky in these tests is the seal under the water pump. It might be ok for the pressure test, but the pressure of the water from the pump may get by the seal.

The good news is...you have found yourself a dealer that you can trust. Priceless!!!!"

Back