Logo

Mercury 15 HP 1990

pendulum2

"I am installing a 15 HP Merc,

"I am installing a 15 HP Merc, 1990 Elec start. It has the harness plug and battery cables sticking out of it, what if any harness, about 10 ft. long with key switch can I purchase to be able to start it at the helm. I am not concerned abut shifting from there, unless it is absolutely necessary, as has an control arm attached."

"Max, just so it's clear a

"Max, just so it's clear are you saying this is an electric start "tiller" model with the push button start on the handle? or is it a totally remote set-up that you steer with a steering wheel??"

"Graham, my engine serial # is

"Graham, my engine serial # is oc236xxx . It is a tiller model. When they ran it in the tank I didn't see that he use the handle to start it. The Tech plugged a remote key start box into the plug hanging out of the side of engine opposite the tiller. I don't want to make it a totally remote system, just capable of being started at steering station or at stern near motor, same for turning it off. It is to be just for trolling mainly. I just removed a 8 HP merc of the same vintage, that looks identical except for the 15 decal and its totally manual start. I'm putting the 15 Elec start on due to increasingly bad Arthritis in my shoulder and elbow, it hould make a great difference in my fishing experience. So if you know what part I need to order to plug a remote cable/keystart into the pigtail plug, I'd be very imprressed."

"Main engine is 115 HP Merc, i

"Main engine is 115 HP Merc, it's all set up.

The 15 HP Merc is the one I am installing now.

No 70 HP engine on my boat"

"Well I'm at work right no

"Well I'm at work right now and the S# is on a paper at home, I remember it to start with OC236 and had 3 more numbers. according to the chart I was looking at the first 15 HP engines S#'s started with OA, OB, OC, or OD. From the parts list at usaboatsupply.com"

"Cliff, the production numbers

"Cliff, the production numbers are shared by all horsepowers such that 0C236111 could be a 70 and 0C236112 could be a 4 horse - no rhyme or reason to what Merc did

Max, first off, yes, the 6/8/9.9 models up until mid 1994 were virtually identical. The 15 horse had a little more displacement, but aside from the carb/exhaust tube, pistons/cylinders was likewise "identical".

Somebody must have changed the wiring a bit for the keyswitch. Originally it would have simply had a starter button on the tiller handle.

No big deal to put a switch on the console - you could go with a conventional keyswitch or simply with a "push to start" style.

Below is a simple diagram of the starting system. You only need to find the red and red/yellow wire in the harness and splice a switch into that circuit.

You could go the cost of a factory made harness, but personally, a few bucks worth of automotive wire (tinned marine wire would even be better) would serve the purpose quite well..

375999.jpg
"

"Hi guys I am back again and h

"Hi guys I am back again and have found a remote control set up with correct plug to connect to my 15HP Merc. Ser # OC236923, with elec. start. Now I need some assistance in determining what shifter attachment kit I need for this engine and where I can find one, Thank you for your help!"

"Max, if you are simply talkin

"Max, if you are simply talking about the shift/throttle cables you can use 3300 series (morse/teleflex) style which are "generic".

To connect them at the motor end you will need a Teleflex 3300C adapter (it's listed for larger horse Merc's but it's the one that works for the little motors as well.

Or you can use Teleflex style 479 cables which already have the "merc" ends on them.

Since this was originally a tiller model, you will also need Merc part 42805A6 (or 42805A4, older stock number) which is the entire kit to change all the (guts) under to hood to replace the tiller set-up and change it to remote...."

"I found a Mercury throttle co

"I found a Mercury throttle control, with ign key and shift cables, with the correct plug to plug onto my engine. So you are saying I need Kit #42805A6 or 42805A4 to install in place of the tiller handle, and then my cables connect to this kit, right?"

"Yes, it's a bit of work &

"Yes, it's a bit of work (but there are excellent instructions/pictures with the kit - and it's not "rocket science" so something you can easily do with a wrench and a screwdriver).

You can leave the tiller handle in place but it's cables and linkage must be removed or changed to accomodate the control cables.

The bit/pieces of the kit is then installed in place of what you take off.

If you do leave the tiller handle it will be completely "non-functional" for throttle/shift control...."

"Thank you for all your help G

"Thank you for all your help Graham, I put that part number in on EBAY and snagged that kit right after it was listed. Someone had one laying around that they decided to sell. I hope I am that lucky installing it. If I run into trouble I'll POST again."

Back