Logo

2006 9.9 hp Merc starting idling issues

badmerc

"I ran my 2006 9.9hp Merc, electric start, motor 2 weeks ago. It started and idled and trolled for an hour just fine. Today it started and idled and trolled for ½ hour then died and would not start. I brought it home and let is set for an hour, pushed the starter and she popped like it wanted to start. I stuck it in the barrel full of water and she started and idled for about 10 minutes and quit and wouldn’t start. So I turned the throttle just about to max. and she starts and runs a high RPM. But just as soon as I throttle her down she shuts off immediately. Also, with the throttle in neutral, when I pull the choke to full and start her, she again starts and runs at high RPM, but shuts off as soon as I start to release the choke.
Any ideas whats going on with this thing?"

"2 stroke or 4 stroke?

If i

"2 stroke or 4 stroke?

If it's a 2 stroke it sounds like an ignition problem, just need to know which model we are dealing with..."

"Ok, had to do a little readin

"Ok, had to do a little reading (4 strokes, yuk)

Anyhow, your ignition, like the 2 strokes of days gone by has primary and secondary ignition charge coils located under the flywheel.

It sounds very much like your primaries (which provide power for the ignition below 3000 rpms) are getting toasted.

There is some preliminary ohm meter tests that can be done, but ultimately, before chucking the money for a new charge coil you should have them tested with a DVA tester (and even if you want to do the ohm tests you will need at least a workshop manual (Seloc's) just to sort out what probe neads to go where).

The DVA (or adapter for a normal volt meter) is not something the average guy has laying around (and a normal volt meter alone won't help) so a trip to a marine or motorcycle shop (motorcycle and atv ignitions are almost identical to that on an outboard) and 10 minutes of their time will quickly tell you if the charge coil is shot...

At cranking speed you should see 230-280 volts (DVA) from the brown wire coming from the bundle under the flywheel.

That would be the first test I would conduct given your observations as to how the motor is acting...."

"Thanks Graham! Someone else

"Thanks Graham! Someone else suggested that I remove, clean and replace the carb, which I did. It runs like a sewing machine now."

Back