Logo

Remove Flywheel on Honda 1997 BF50

venicefl1

"1997 Honda BF50, Is there any tool or easy way to remove the flywheel. I have a screaching noise coming from under it. Sounds like metal rubbing..."

"Whoops, I just read another t

"Whoops, I just read another thread where you asked this question and you received an answer. It appears that I was wrong about having to use a puller on this motor so this is an apology along with a correction for what I wrote below because I hit the POST button and put the wrong info into many peoples inbox. So, please disregard the following:

You will need a wheel puller. They sell steering wheel pullers at auto parts stores. Most of the time though the flywheel is stuck on pretty good because it is on a tapered shaft with a key so you had better have a puller of good quality. I always leave the nut loosely threaded on the crankshaft so that when the flywheel breaks loose, it won't shoot off and hit me in the face. I have had flywheels, along with my puller, travel a good distance when I neglected to leave the nut threaded on. This is truely a job when safety glasses are VERY important too. Good luck."

I found a harmonic balancer pu

I found a harmonic balancer puller at our Canadaian Tire store for 25 bucks worked great.

"I hate to diaagree, but you s

"I hate to diaagree, but you should not need a puller unless something is very wrong.

There are four bolts that hold it on. There is a flat surface under the flywheel that rests on flat top of the vertical shaft.

The flywheel should just lift off. The magnets are probably providing resistance. They are pretty strong. Get a couple of large screw drivers and pry very carefully to help you lift it from side to side in very small steps. Or...tap it on one side with a rubber mallet to jar it loose. It should not take a lot of prying unless the flywheel has rusted on. It should wobble without much prying.

Having a buddy help you can make it easier.

The magnets are probably becoming delaminated and hitting the pickup coils. That is probably what you are hearing.

Pretty common."

Mike's post 100% top drawe

Mike's post 100% top drawer information.

If you can't get it off easily you have a problem..

I guess this crankshaft is dif

I guess this crankshaft is different than the ones I've owned with a taper that the flywheel is torqued down onto from 125 to 195 foot pounds.

"Here are pictures of the 50 H

"Here are pictures of the 50 HP flywheel and crankshaft to be sure that we are on the same page. Notice...no taper.

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12482/376022.png"" alt="""">

[img]http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12482/376023.png"" alt=""

Back