Logo

1982 Mercury 18HP

dusky

"I have an opportunity to buy

"I have an opportunity to buy the motor for $100. It is clean with a stainless prop. It has been sitting for several years. I pulled the carb to clean it and found the plastic bowl and looks like a platic seat. Is this a good motor to start spending money on?

Thanks,

Mike"

"That's very low compressi

"That's very low compression. Still, if it has spark (important!) and is all there and not busted, it's a deal. You'll need to re-ring it--easy job.

Jeff

PS: If you do buy it, let me know and I'll show you a trick that will save you a bundle!"

"100 bucks for an 18 horse whi

"100 bucks for an 18 horse which is just the de-tuned 25.

Very nice little motor and since it's been sitting I would be happy with an initial compression test of 90 - at least she isn't seized.

Like Jeff says, if she has spark on top of that I would personally grab it quick - just getting it to run would increase the value into the 500-700 dollar range without doing any major work on it.

But more importantly, that could be a great little motor if you have a use for it.."

"Hi Fastjeff, I did buy the en

"Hi Fastjeff, I did buy the engine. I cleaned the carb and tried it out on my jon boat. It runs good but idles a little rough. Is that common for that model engine? I need to find a carb bowl for it, the molded plastic that holds the float pin is cracked on one side. Put a drop of JB weld on it for now. What kind of trick were you talking about. Thanks"

"I was talking about honing it

"I was talking about honing it if you were to re-rering it. Looks like all you need is a good carb. Later ones don't have that plastic bowl, but be sure they are similar otherwise or you'll go nuts getting it to work right.

Jeff"

"Thanks everyone for the info.

"Thanks everyone for the info. It seems to run about as strong as a 25Hp johnson that I had but I think it has a little more vibration on the top end. May be the stainless prop, it has a few battle scars on one of the blades. I will be keeping an eye out for a parts motor. I appreciate you guys answering my questions."

Back