Logo

Glowplugs

"Not a Detroit question but si

"Not a Detroit question but since this seems to be a very active boating thread, does anyone know if there exists an aftermarket glowplug for a Westerbeke diesel genset? I have an 11kw BTD generator and need to replace 3 glowplugs - Westerbeke wants $45 a piece! Any help would be greatly appreciated."

"I know that Bosch makes quite

"I know that Bosch makes quite a few glow plugs for various applications such as the Ford line of International Harvester diesel engines. I believe NAPA auto parts carries some of that stuff and if you find the right counter guy and ask them politely, they may be able to help you match something up. NAPA does "dabble" in marine application and might even be able to cross reference the Westerbeke. That's where I'd start anyway. Good luck."

You're welcome John. Anoth

You're welcome John. Another thing that came to mind is that I own a Kubota tractor and it uses glow plugs so I wouldn't hesitate to try the local Kubota parts department if I needed to find a glow plug. Just wouldn't be surprised if they aren't just as expensive though.

"Jimmy- FYI the Napa parts guy

"Jimmy- FYI the Napa parts guy spent an hour trying to match a plug up to no avail. Westerbeke patents a lot of their parts so you have to buy the OEM versions from them. In this case, they have a different thread size than any other glowplugs available through an auto parts store. While I'm sure it keeps their revenues up, their glowplug is 6 times the cost of others available"

"Hi John,
Yeah, that might be

"Hi John,
Yeah, that might be a tough nut to crack. Do you have any numbers for the original glow plugs or are you just beginning to look? I've seen a couple of references to Champion brand part #AG39 glow plugs associated with the Westerbeke but I don't know if that would apply to your engine.

I'm not sure if this is a solution for you but I'm an old diesel mechanic and I might be tempted to drill and re-thread the holes if they made me mad with the price gouging. There's always more than one way to skin a mule."

"Hello John, Most Westerbekes

"Hello John, Most Westerbekes are a Mitsubishi,You can have your local import parts person cross ref or do a little internet research by reading the numbers off the plug. Example,Westerbeke 030593 starter-$600+---Mitsubishi--$150 Good luck JD"

Back