Logo

50 hp tilt trim

P

phill_nz

trim works .. tilt wont go up

trim works .. tilt wont go up .. took it off and gave it to the honda guys .. they had it for a day and said it was fixed .. he said it was just the bypass .. i said i had opened it to take it off the boat .. he said no its ok now .. so i put it back on .. same as before not fixed .. it will trim but wont tilt motor up .. im reluctant to take it back to those cowboys .. any advice on what to replace and how hard will it be .. after the wonderful experience of taking it off and wondering why they designed it that way

"You may want to go ahead and

"You may want to go ahead and take it back while it is on the motor. If is next to impossible to test it properly without the weight of the motor. If could need to be bled properly, which needs to be done on the engine.

I would think they would give you some consideration or credit towards additional work if required.

There are not a lot of serviceable parts in that system."

if its any more information im

if its any more information im pretty sure it happened when i hit a rock ( got carried by swell when i was trawling around a reef )
also it wont hold up on its own .. it sinks down with a swishing sound
does that effect your ideas on needing a bleed ?

"Bleeding couldn't hurt.

"Bleeding couldn't hurt.

If you can move it up and down manually and it holds in various positions, the main cylinder has probably not been damagaed.

It is possible that one of the bypass valves or other valves or o rings could have been damaged by the impact.

It may be that the damage is not really viaable and all the valves would need to be replaced to be certain they found it

Labor costs can go up pretty fast...especially in this case, you have to put the unit back on the motor before it really can be tested.

Fortuately, I have had only a couple of these to work on and they had trouble with the manual release.

The repair manual just gives a list of valves and o rings that could be bad if it does not go up. It does not even say how to change them.

Maybe, someone else may have more experience."

"Listen to Mike's advice a

"Listen to Mike's advice and take the boat to someone. It sounds like the internal pressure relief valve has failed a seal due to the hit and unless you are an accomplished hydraulics mechanic, you probably won't be able to repair it yourself. The relief valve is meant to bypass the oil pressure to sump when you lean on the up or down switch too long. That's the whine you hear when you do that.

The pressure agianst that valve and the seals builds gradually, in hydraulic terms, and what happened when you hit the rock was a "shock" load to the bypass that built pressure against the valve so rapidly that the spring didn't have a chance to gradually absorb the energy and a seal probably blew. A good jack repairman could probably fix the thing except for the fact that the SHOWA parts can only be obtained through the Honda system. If you've lost faith in your local dealer then I would find the next closest one to help you with this. But, again, Mike is correct (as usual I might add) in that you should really give them a chance to redeem themselves by taking the ENTIRE problem to them so that they can see up close and personal what is actually happening.
Good luck."

Back