Logo

2005 honda 115 hp lack of power after trolling

chipsongdo

leaving dock boat easily gets on plane but after trolling a couple of hours and then trying to get to the next fishing spot engine sputters and will not get boat onto a plane. all fuel filters were changed including high pressure filter. any ideas... thanks

"Have you checked the vents to

"Have you checked the vents to the tank...are they clear, not crusted up with salt? If they are plugged the engine would have a more difficult time getting fuel as vacuum increases."

"First follow Rollie's adv

"First follow Rollie's advice. Check that you are not building a vacuum on the fuel tank. Try opening the gas cap while under way and see if the problem goes away. (Clogged breather vent.)Then check to see whether your pump up bulb is flattening out. (Clogged pick up tube.) If neither work. Route a clear plastic fuel line from the pump up bulb to the low pressure fuel filter to see if you are getting any air bubbles in the line as you are underway. If all that fails, I would go back to check the fuel filters and make sure they are clean, and seated correctly. Also, after you experience the slow down, pull and check your spark plugs to make sure they are all clean, dry, and have a minimum of carbon build up."

I was reading your post and it

I was reading your post and it occured to me to ask you about your water pump. Is it fresh and do you have a good tell-tale stream at low engine rpms? Just a thought.

"i forgot to mention one impor

"i forgot to mention one important item.. if i shut the engine down for a couple of minutes,most of the time it will run great again like nothing was wrong."

"If the fuel vents and fuel fi

"If the fuel vents and fuel filters are ok and the water pump is ok and engine is not overheating...and spark plugs look ok... Be sure to use NGK spark plugs. They may be worth changing if you have not already done so.

Check the warning lights to see if the green light is on and the red light is off.

Check crankcase vent...3/4 inch hose that runs (along the starboard top of the motor) from the valve cover to the intake.

Check pvc valve. It is located on top of the engine on the starboard side. You can follow a 1/2 inch hose from the top of the metal part of the intake to the valve.

Remove the IAC valve and clean the carbon buildup on the screens inside. It is held on with two bolts. Use some mild solvent like brake clean.

Hopefully, you have a manual that will help you locate these things."

"I ADDED THE CLEAR TUBE TO THE

"I ADDED THE CLEAR TUBE TO THE FUEL LINE AND FOUND I HAD AIR ENTERING AT THE TEE I HAD INSTALLED FOR MY TROLLING MOTOR..SO I REMOVED THE TEE AND WILL RUN THE BOAT THIS WEEKEND, HOPE THIS FIXES THE PROBLEM...THANKS TO ALL FOR THEIR HELP...BOB"

the boat is running much bette

the boat is running much better.. it is now running out of power between 3800 and 4200 rpm . won't go higher than 4200 rpm . feels like it is starving for fuel...bob

BOAT IS RUNNING GREAT NOW DIDN

BOAT IS RUNNING GREAT NOW DIDN'T DO ANYTHING MORE TO IT.... HOPEFULLY THE AIR LEAK WAS THE PROBLEM....THANKS AGAIN BOB

Back