Logo

2005 BF225A

scottsur

Looking for some help. My &#39

Looking for some help. My '05 225A will not shift into forward or reverse. Have recently shanged the shift cable from the shifter to the engine. Operation of the shifter operates the shifter arm on the engine as it should. I was running about 3000rpm when it hesitated and I shift into neutral and then shift back to forward and run about 3000 rpm again and then the engine reved and stopped moving forward. Tried to shift to forward and reverse and nothing. Any help would be appreciated. I am moderetly mechanically inclined but have friends who are mechanics. Thank you in advance for your help.

"Having just changed your shif

"Having just changed your shift cable brings attention to whatever was done during that procedure...however...

That being said...the first thing to check is the propeller. You may have spun the hub. If it moves slowing when put into gear, but then once you get to 3000 or so, it revs up, the prop is no longer moving.

If you have a spare prop or a buddy with a prop that will fit your engine...change it out. it is the easiest way to check it without sending it to a prop shop."

Thanks Mike. Just spoke to a f

Thanks Mike. Just spoke to a friend of mine and he feels it's my lower unit. Without the boat running I put it in gear and the prop spins with some slight grinding. He said I need to just change out the lower unit. Your Thoughts?

I am inclined to think your cl

I am inclined to think your clutch dog is worn or worse if you have the correct tools to remove the prop shaft to see

"Have you put it in forward an

"Have you put it in forward and turned your prop backwards?

Did you disconnect you shift cable at the engine and try to shift it by hand? Again trying to turn the prop in the opposite direction than you are shifting.

I like to check the cheaper possibilities before getting into the expensive stuff.

If it still grinds, you probably have lower unit issues.

Drain the gear lube and check for metal.

To pull the prop shaft, you will have to remove your lower unit and pull the shift shaft before you pull the prop shaft. You should only need metric wrenches and a couple of screwdrivers. If you boat in salt water, who knows what else you may need (chisel, torch, etc)

If it is pretty well destroyed, it would probably be cheaper to just replace it rather than fix it."

"I have put it in forward and

"I have put it in forward and the prop does turn backwards and forwards with some slight grinding. If I am replacing the lower unit is it just a matter of pulling the lower unit off and bolting the new one back up? 6 bolts I believe? I had not disconnected the shift cable and tried that method yet but will do that. If the prop does not turn doing that, what is that telling me? Appreciate everyones help. Should have paid more attention to my brothers who are both vehicle mechanics when I was a kid."

"If if shifts ok without the c

"If if shifts ok without the cable attached, means that the shift adjustment, one of the levers up top or even possibly the shifter have an issue.

There are 6 bolts and one nut (that is under the trim tab). You may also have a rubber tubing on the forward side of the motor (for the speedo pickup) that has to be disconnected.

It should drop right off...depending on corrosion."

"Best advise would be to take

"Best advise would be to take it to a proffesional who will check it for you and let you kno whats wrong, you could pull it apart for nothing"

"Jamie is right. It you do no

"Jamie is right. It you do not know what you are doing, you could easily mess it up worse. For example...if you do not take the prop shaft out correctly, a couple of ball bearings could come out the the prop shaft. If you do not know they were there in the first place, you will never find them in the gear case until they started floating around when you put it back together and they get caught in the gears (good by lower unit for sure). Just an example..."

Back