Logo

Difference between inboard intake and sterndrive intake

"Beside the wedge under the Qu

"Beside the wedge under the Quadrajet, is there a differece in intakes for a GM 5.7? I have a 88 model Sea Ray INBOARD with B/W straight thru that I am having problems bolting up the carb. The intake was missing when I purchased and I thought I bought the correct one. Maybe not.

Thanks,
Jim"

shouldn't be any.

The s

shouldn't be any.

The studs are usually 'bent' after the wedge and gaskets go on. The T-stat housing may change with the specific application.

"Thnks Mark. That's what I

"Thnks Mark. That's what I'll do. One more Question. Using the wedge, Can I use the thinner gasket material top and bottom of the wedge, as in, making my own?
Thanks,
Jim"

"Are they the thick ones or th

"Are they the thick ones or the thin ones? The reason I ask is because most Quadrajet base gaskets are a single, thick, gasket that helps insulate the carb from the intake heat. But in this case, there are two gaskets above and below the wedge, before the carb. If I used the thick gaskets, I would think It would be too tall."

"you can use the thin roll stu

"you can use the thin roll stuff to make the gasket(s), if needed - nothing really special here. Between the manifold and the wedge, you can also use RTV, if you are comfortable using it."

"I just completed rebuild of m

"I just completed rebuild of my Q-jets. I tried to find these base gaskets at local auto parts store and none had the correct ones. I ordered crusader gaskets on line. Exact match and they aren't that thick, about a good 16th inch maybe. Some of the Fel-Pros I saw were 1/4 inch or better."

Back