Logo

453 land conversion

tuckerpearson

"Hey all, been watching thread

"Hey all, been watching threads for some time and figured I'd ask for some input.
Just picked up a 4-53 out of a 64 lobster boat and plan on putting it in my truck. Just three problems I can think of off hand.

-Left hand rotation? Can I buy a different starter since I heard the 2 strokes can run in both directions?
-Will a water pump for a radiator bolt on in place of the ocean water pump?
-Will the bolt pattern match up to an allison tranny like the other detroits?

Any info as far as differences between land and sea detroits is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!"

"Tucker,I have done several tr

"Tucker,I have done several truck-to-marine conversions for these motors so I'll try to think "backwards"...yes,the 4-53 can run in either direction,but with a modification,there is an idler gear that when moved from one side to the other,determines which way the engine will run.In other words,you cant just crank it the other way.The engine may already be set up to turn the right direction but if not,than yes,you can get a differant starter to coincide with the engines rotation.As far as the trans bolt up,I cant reaslly answer as I know the pattern for a Borg Warner Marine Trans,most likely what was on the back of your motor,but I dont know the bolt pattern for an Allison trans."

"Thanks for the help. When you

"Thanks for the help. When you say move the idler gear to the other side, will I just have to drill a hole to line it up on the other side, or is there another idler that you swap it with? Also where you say youve done truck to marine, I'm assuming which ever transmission came off the truck was common enough where they probably have the same bellhousing as a boat. Are all boat applications left hand rotation? Thanks again, much appreciated!"

"generaly,single screw boats u

"generaly,single screw boats use a LH rotation,but thats not ALWAYS the case.as for the idler gear,there will be a place for the gear to be moved from one side to the other.if you can supply me with a fax # i can send you a copy from the front page of my 453 manual showing how to configure the gears for various applications."

"Hi guys...this is more of a q

"Hi guys...this is more of a question than a statement of fact. I have no experience turning the Detroit "around" but know that it is done. One concern I would have is the camshaft. It is ground for a cylinder fresh air "scavenge" to take place just prior to valve closure with the piston approaching bdc and uncovering the intake ports. Even if the open ramp and close ramp lobe grind is equal in degrees of rotation, I would still think that cam and cam follower wear would be something to worry about. Especially the injector lobes as they are under tremendous stress and usually show the most wear at teardown.
Your thoughts?"

"There is a brass plug in the

"There is a brass plug in the block that has to be taken out on the side you want to put the idler gear on and the side you take it from you will have to plug thats how you can change rotation but there are other things to change besides that to make the total swap over(oilpump,gears)"

After you take off the balance

After you take off the balancers off the the cam cover and the front gear cover you'll find the cam gears crank gears and Idler gear.The plate that the idler gear sits on had a left and right bushing post that it sits on with a bronze bushing I wouod replace the bushing as well. Also the oil pump needs to be flipped upside down as well when you take off the oil pump it will say left hand up or right hand up. Not sure about the blowers but I would think somether as well would have to be reversed. I am rebuilding my marine 453's and am learning all this as I go. Good luck Rik

"Thanks Rik, please keep me po

"Thanks Rik, please keep me posted as to what else you find. I'm trying to compile a list of things I will need for after I pull the engine out of the beached lobster boat within the next few weeks. I was told it weighs 1900 lbs dry, can anyone vouch for this? Thanks again everyone!"

Back