Logo

1998 9.8 hp 4 stroke

bax

"I have a 2009 9.8 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke that I will be using on my sailboat. I need to disable the steering ability, as their is no room for it to turn from side to side in the well. The steering will be done by means of the rudder only. The manual does not recommend tightening the adjustment bolt for this, as damage may occur. What is the best way to fix the motor from moving?

Thanks!"

There is no factory method...U

There is no factory method...Usually people tighten up the tension adjustment and rig a bungee cord to the front of the engine to keep it straight.

"I would put the kicker on a f

"I would put the kicker on a fixed kicker bracket which moves it about 12 to 16 inches aft, allowing you to turn it and make use of the quicker helm response."

"Rollie & Guru,
This is o

"Rollie & Guru,
This is on a catamaran, so there will be two outboards about 8ft apart. Steering will be fine with just the rudders under normal conditions. In tight spaces I can use fwd & reverse to turn, no need for the outboards to steer themselves. I'll probably just cinch down the adjustment screw and tie them off or devise a mechanical lock.

Thanks to all for the comments!"

Back