Logo

Need Some Advice on a Motor

blair_brad

"Morning Everyone,
I am glad

"Morning Everyone,
I am glad I found this site. I am hoping some of you can share your thoughts and experiences with the motor I am looking at. I live in Windsor, Ontario and fish three to four months out of the year so I am not looking to drop 5K on a used motor right now. However, there is a '97 125hp Oil Injected Merc w/ 1100hrs available for $3700. First, is there any one that is familiar w/ this model? How is the performance? Should I expect any issues? The guy is willing to take the motor to a marina for inspection and wants to keep the controls. I have an '89 100hp oil injected Merc sitting in the garage. Will the controls match the '97?
Thanks,
Brad"

"Morning Brad,
The 125 Merc i

"Morning Brad,
The 125 Merc is an inline 4 cylinder which uses Merc's (Yamaha's) 2+2 design such that it basically only runs on 2 cylinders at idle/low rpm and then all four start firing after about 1800 rpms or so.

This transition (both going up and coming back down in rpms) can be a little choppy and usually catches one "off guard" if they are not familiar with how the engine operates.

You will hear good and bad (plus a few horror stories) about this model (which is mechanically similar to the infinately more popular 115 Merc).

I like this model and consider it to at least "as good as" and even "superior" to other motors in it's horsepower class from other mfgs.

Your current controls will fit as far as the throttle/shift cables for sure - there may be a difference in the harness (slightly different pin configuration, but I am not positive) - if so, it usually can be easily overcome.

Now, as to value. The motor is 13 years old, and it's a 2 stroke (which I love), but you couldn't buy a "similar replacement" in this horsepower even if you wanted to. Would have to be a 2 stroke DFI or a 4 stroke.

Because of that, in a dealers eyes (at least here in Ontario), that motor is worth "nothing" on a trade - they don't want it. And, when it hits the 15 year old mark you will have a tough time finding a dealer/shop to work on it.

Not a problem if you can do the work yourself or there is "this guy" that works on outboards. At least for now the majority of the parts for this model is supported by Merc and readily available.

But those are all factors you have to consider when considering a specific motor.

Personally, I find the asking price somewhat "inflated" - buddy is trying to get back most of the money he paid for it new.

A brand new 90 horse, 2 stroke Merc (still available in Canada) sells for just over 5K as you have noted - and horsepower wise would be about equivalent to the 100 horse you currently have - so that can be used for your comparison.

I would be looking to get a used, 13 year old discontinued model, for somewhat "less than half" of a brand new replacement. And based on used sales of similar horsepower, in Ontario, I would peg the "value" at about 2500 bucks "including" the rigging.

There is often a fairly wide gap between what someone "thinks" their motor is worth and what they can actually get for it.

If you want a second opinion specific to your area, there is a decent Merc dealer in LaSalle (Clearwater boat sales).

Give them a call and see what their "trade in price" would be - normally if you double what a dealer will pay you will find the going used rate in your area..."

Back