Logo

Mariner 30E 1989 model

heinrich

"Hi guys I'm not from the

"Hi guys I'm not from the states,I'm from South Africa and need some info please.I have a light boat,centre console,3.87m long.With a 30hp Mariner 30E - 689 S104169(made in Japan for USA)motor but my boat doesn't want plane.My cavitation plate is 30mm below the bottom of my boat(is that to low),my compression on both cylinders is 80kph (is that to low).I took it out on Sunday for a trip and I was going half throttle,suddenly the motor lost power and cut out(it looked like the impeller was broken)I think it made a air vacuum and the water could not go through.I took it home and opened the thermostat there was no sign of water.When I took the thermostat out it looked like powder beneath the thermostat.At home I stated the motor again and the impeller was working could it be that the impeller is not working as it should be working not pushing the water up to the thermostat and that the motor got to warm and for that reason the compression is to low.
If the compression is to low what would I have to replace in the motor most likely -piston,rings,gaskets ? I have send a mail to Crawley Marine for prices on parts but they said they don't keep that parts anymore where can I get that parts,South Africa is a no no.

Regards,Heinrich RSA
375475.jpg
mariner 30hp

"Sounds like you may have &#34

"Sounds like you may have "spun a prop", to check, mark housing,then mark prop shaft bushing,then put engine in forward gear,engine not running,step on prop blade to see if alligned marks move. Next,did you hear any horn go off while traveling? do you mix oil with gas? or is it auto fed ?cavitation plate should be nearly even with bottom of boat. Don't understand kph, but you should have close to 90 to a 100 psi on spark plug holes. Does engine miss? http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/engine/ques057_1.html ..bernie"

"Hi Bernard,compression is mea

"Hi Bernard,compression is measured in PSI and in BAR and we do it in KPH my boat is giving me 800kph if I convert it to PSI it is 118.93 PSI.My engin's compression is perfect I thought it was 80kph but it is 800kph.I think that I have found dome of my problem when the motor idle and I take off the plug wire you can see the sparks at the magnito.This is a big problem becaurce it is throwing spark away,day by day I'm sorting it out thanx for the advice."

"That is a 1983 yamaha built f

"That is a 1983 yamaha built for mercury/mariner based on their own older motors.Check with a yamaha dealer,take in the old part and maybe they can help you.Check your stator,rectifier and switchbox,you'll need a DVA meter to check switchbox,or easier to take to a shop and get them to check it.I'm not sure if there are high speed windings on the stator,note my user name,if there is that may be why she cut out at half throttle."

"I also have a Mariner 30 that

"I also have a Mariner 30 that I can't find the year, I have been through more charts both Mariner and Yamaha with no Luck The best ones were at MarineEngine.com, but can't find mine. On the tag shows Mariner 30 (ELO) Code 689 ,L, Serial #417993.
Also I have found what the ELO stands for and I think the L is the year but on the MarineEngine charts there is every letter but an L. Help is you can. I believe this is made by Yamaha but not sure. On parts ordering charts I see 30A, 30B, 30C and 30D. What does these designations mean?"

"Jes I also would like to know

"Jes I also would like to know what it stands for mine is 30E-689 S104169,Bernard you said that I must haqve a look on http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=133712 but if I want to go to iboats it doesn't open up I don't know why.Noel McBride you said that my motor is a 1983 model how do you now that (can you explain)If I go to the boat engin parts on this site and look for 1983 Mariner 30hp their is nothing but if I look at the 1989 model 7030201PU it looks exactly like my motor and all the parts looks the same.I know that my motor was made in Japan becaurce on the engin tag it says "made in Japan for Mariner USA" but how do we know what model it is?"

"You might just try [url=""]ww

"You might just try www.iboats.com and if you get through,use the search engine,Mariner 75 3rd Stator and Counting. By the way if your seeing sparks from under the flywheel ,you probably have a bad stator or trigger ,and are two separate sets of coils. As the flywheel rotates with its magnets,it induces a magnetic flux into the windings of the stator,which is stationary,the high voltage generated is from the collasping magnetic field in the stator and puts out about 180v ac then goes to a switch box and through a scr (silicon controlled rectifer)to get a purer dc voltage,and charges a large capacitor,and the timing pulses from the trigger coil unleases this charge to the ignition coil jacking up the voltage to the 35 thousand volt range to fire the spark plug. You also have a set of yellow wires coming from stator going to a rectifier/regulator that charges the battery. Not sure how your motor is set up,and if anybody can correct me on this, a comeback is appreciated. Also it's best to have a peak reading meter to read the output from the stator and trigger, also the trigger voltage will be just a 1 volt . bernie"

"The Yamaha Mariners were all

"The Yamaha Mariners were all copies of earlier Yamaha models.

So the 30A, 30B, 30C etc refers to the model that Yami marketed.

The ELO part will break downs as

E - electric start
L - long shaft (20")
O - oil injected **

There was two very different "oil injected" models.

The early ones had Mercury's "Auto Blend" system - which was a nightmare. Fortunately it was simply an "in line" system that connected between the gas tank and the motor itself.

Most owner simply unhooked it and threw it far enough away that it couldn't spontaneously reconnect. If you run accross an older motor with Auto Blend, disconnect it an run mixed gas.

30 horse models with a serial of 530101 or higher (so 689-530101 - the 689 part refers to the Yamaha model with the numbers after the dash being the actual serial), had a gear driven oil pump.

The gear driven style was a good design and should be left alone if still hooked up.

All the "689" 30 horse Yami/Mariners were copies of Yamaha's own model 30A which was built between 1979-85. They were exact duplicates with no changes made for Merc, so regardless of what year it is, it's really a pre-85 Yami...."

Back