Logo

How to remove the tilt cylinder top pivot pin on a 1998 Merc 200 HP

sbklf

Contributing Member
"1998 Mercury 200 HP. I want t

"1998 Mercury 200 HP. I want to take the top pivot pin on the tilt cylinder rod out to lubricate it while I replace the trim sending unit that is bad. I see what could be the keeper (has a nail like head) but it does not move easily to pull or unscrew. Does it press out, unscrew? Thanks"

Re: "1998 Mercury 200 HP. I want t

I have a similar problem with my 50 HP 2000 Mariner. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

There is a pin that goes through the middle of the swivel pin,I'll call it that as I can't remember the correct term of the top of my head, that needs to be driven out with a punch.The swivel pin should slide out easy enough then.

Thanks, haventaclue , for the quick reply. The pin that locks the swivel pin on my Mariner is on the edge of the swivel pin. I cannot access it with a punch. I was able to move the lock pin 1/8" by tapping on it with a screw driver. It was not enough to unlock the swivel pin. I didn't want to press my luck with harder hits, so I stopped. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,robertf

SUCCESS!!! I went back to tapping on the lock pin and it finally came out. was able to remove the swivel pin with ease. Thanks again for your reply. robertf

Back