Logo

Too fast idle on 2006 Tohatsu 5 HP 4 stroke

sprint750bob

"Having an issue with my 5 HP

"Having an issue with my 5 HP Tohatsu 4-stroke used as a sailboat auxilary. The engine was about 1 year old when I purchased it three years ago with the boat (boat was a dealer demo). It ran perfectly until the mid part of this year when it would not keep running at idle. My service has included an annual lower unit oil change, annual engine oil change, annual spark plug change, and using fuel stabilizer in the external gas tank.

I talked to a local outboard engine dealer and he suggested the carb was dirty. I removed the carb and soaked it in mineral spirits for about 1 week, removed, dried, and re-installed. The first problem (cutout at idle) went away but now the engine idles too fast. This weekend, I tried adjusting the cable adjustment nuts on the throttle itself (I've not touched any idle speed screw adjustments)and got it down some but now it surges. I've thought that maybe I need to replace the fuel filter. Note that at speed and in gear, the engine seems to run just fine.

Please help me Mr. Tohatsu Guru!

Thanks!"

"I've not touched any

"I've not touched any idle speed screw adjustments"

The idle speed adjustment screw on the carbretor is there just so you can adjust the idle.

Back