Logo

Somethings draining my battery

bw94

Regular Contributor
"I think somethings draining m

"I think somethings draining my battery, or at least that what it seems like, went to start it today. It turned over a few times,then the battery was dead,I charged it after I used it Thurs. It's a fairly new battery. Is there anyhting on the motor that might be draining it. I checked in the boat and everything is off. 70hp #TE70TLCE. Thanks"

"w/everything OFF,...conn a sm

"w/everything OFF,...conn a small amp gauge,to ea wire and on the pos post of batt....when u see the needle mv,even slightly,theres ur prob.if no movement,..suspect bad batt.chg/load terst."

"also,ck ur batt cables well,e

"also,ck ur batt cables well,esp,connections at ea end...if u have any loose,bubbled up plastic cvr,..repl both cables.."

"Im a great believer in also f

"Im a great believer in also fitting a good battery isolating switch into the main cable,so when turned off,battery is isolated from everything.most have removable keys for extra security"

"If you do as jwb suggests I r

"If you do as jwb suggests I reckon that if your battery has discharged significantly in 3 days you could be looking for at least a 200 or 300 milliamps

A few milliamps, say less than 10,is not going to have caused the problem ... at least not if your battery is in good shape

Checking for a current is definitely the first sensible thing to do. If theres no current then the battery is suspect.

A battery isolating switch is a must IMHO."

"A cheap multimeter (Harbo

"A cheap multimeter (Harbor freight-$5) has a current setting that will show how much the draw is. That's a good start. Then there is always the shade-tree method. Get a 12 volt light assy (old trailer light, etc) connect it between either battery terminal and the cable you removed from the terminal, with everything off. The "brightness" will tell you how much the draw is. Then you can stand there at the fuse panel pulling fuses until you see the light go out."

Back