Logo

OMC 16 liter outboard

willieo

I just picked up a boat with a

I just picked up a boat with a working OMC outboard on it. Its a 1.6 liter which I knew how that converts to HP. As I dont really have a need for it. What should I do and know about this motor to get it ready to sell and what would be a fair price for it. I have no idea.
Thanks

"Well tell us the model number

"Well tell us the model number for a start. Then we can identify the year of manufacture and the HP for you. The number should be on a plate , along with the serial number, on the transom mounting bracket.

I think a 1.6 litre engine will be somewhere between 90hp and 140 or 150 hp"

"[i]OMC 1.6L, smells like a Se

"OMC 1.6L, smells like a Sea Drive!"

I reckon you are right. A model number will still identify it!"

Hello
Sorry its een a week bu

Hello
Sorry its een a week but Im back with both the engine model and serial #
Model # 983285
Serial # J291873
Is this a 1985?
How can I tell the HP for this engine?
Are parts readily available?
Thanks

"You are dealing with a 1,6L O

"You are dealing with a 1,6L OMC 110 HP Sea Drive as suspected above. In basic same as the 115 HP outboard but with a 35Amp charging system and 25" shaft length."

"The words "Sea Drive"

"The words "Sea Drive" on the cover are a bit of a give away!
rofl.gif
"

"Getting back to your original

"Getting back to your original question, you are going to find a very limited resale market for that motor, because they have been trashed every opportunity people get, and because of the unique way they mount on the boat. You may be better off selling the powerhead, lower unit, and SeaDrive bracket separately. I bought a good running 1990 V6 SeaDrive on Ebay a couple of years ago with a high bid of $400. Separately, powerhead would bring at least $400, lower unit $200, and the other components at least $200."

"Hello Martin,

the sea driv

"Hello Martin,

the sea drive was made from 1982 to 1990
but
the model number you have there is not correct
ex. of a 1985 model number is 2BALCOM in 1985 that all end with com and begin with 2 hope this helps"

"I get a bit annoyed about the

"I get a bit annoyed about the Sea Drive bashing.
In my opinion and from experience a brilliant solution that unfortunately came a bit too early on the market.
What exactly are you going to replace it with?
I once did a 'conversion' on a 22 ft Windy boat that had similar set up like yours.
Unbolted the sea-drive, made a 'transom' of 12mm alu and modified the bracket. Then hooked on a 25" 115 SL (60 looper).
Got close to the same performance as the same boat normally did with a VP AQ200!
That bracket is one of the best ever made!"

"Mort, you are preaching to th

"Mort, you are preaching to the choir. My boat has twin 3 Liter SeaDrives. I just "pretend" that they are Johnnyrude 225's. As you know, the trim and tilt components and in my case the steering components are the only thing out of the ordinary. (Except the bracket which is built like a Mack truck.) I keep a spare set of T&T and steering components on hand, and plan to run these forever."

"Hmm, I've often heard abo

"Hmm, I've often heard about the Sea Drive's but I never really paid close attention to them. After looking at William's pictures it seems like the Sea Drive bracket was really a fantastic idea. The way that mounts, it allows an OEM to make one style of transom (I/O type) and then simply cut out for the I/O or leave it solid for a Sea Drive. That seems like it would reduce manufacturing costs quite a bit.

Another benefit is the huge setback the bracket gives you. I see all kinds of high performance bass boats using jack plates to move the motor away from the transom and lift it out of the water to get better stability and performance. It looks like the Sea Drive bracket would give you all of that in one piece.

Maybe that system was just ahead of it's time and the industry was just too engrained in the standard outboard mounting. Too bad I guess.

KJ"

Can anyone help me identify my omc seadrive M/N 16amrdgh s/n R08540513 Where i can get a downloadable manual. I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.

Back