Logo

Timing Adjuster 1990 225 hp

martino1

Regular Contributor
"1990 225 Johnson. These engines have the timing adjuster on the top of the engine, starboard side, with a turn knob in the front. When you advance the timing to WOT, the spring in the timing device compresses as the rod goes in. When you then let off, the rod then comes back to its original position. Here is my question: Should the rod in the timing unit snap back immediately, or is is it supposed to return to its original position slowly? I have two identical engines--one springs back immediately, the other slowly, like it is hydraulically damped. Which one has a problem?"

"Old post, an insert for refer

"Old post, an insert for reference here.

Timing bases..... use a slight bit if grease on the brass bearing and the related top bearing portion of the powerhead.

On the nylon retaining ring..... use only oil. Any grease applied here will attract dirt and grime which leads to binding, sticking, etc.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Re: Timing Adjuster

Speaking as a beginner , my engine has exactly the same problem, When the throttle opens, the timer follows up slowly as if the spring arm was a dashpot.
I thought it WAS a dashpot until someone here set me straight.
Looks like the flywheel will have to come off, but as the family wanted to take the boat out, I squirted the timer base under the flywheel
WD didn't do it so i used a carb spray which worked immediately but won't last.
For the moment it snaps along perfectly.

Back