Logo

1989 48 hp evinrude

scott_rief

I just did a rebuild due to a

I just did a rebuild due to a blown piston. did everything to the book as far as i know. I took it out to test it and didn't have much power. Its on a 16ft aluminum boat so it should rip. i hit to about 3/4 thro. and just for a quick second it throws you back and hits high rpms then quickly putters out. and stays that way. the rpms are there just not quite what they should be. i plan on pulling the carbs and cleaning any other ideas in case thats not it. i notice also that the top jets are different numbers from each other. the top carb is a 29 and the bottom is a 31 any reason for that? pulled the plugs and one is really clean and the other is fairly worn. only have about 20mins of run on the rebuild new plugs . thanks for any help.

"carbs should always,be cleane

"carbs should always,be cleaned/rebuilt during the overhaul..,timing,fuel delivery,spark,and compression tests are called for.the diff in the HS jet numbers,is the callibration of the hs fuel system,from the factory,..some jets same,some diff all over the eng...its what they have determined is called for...what plugs u using.... should be--- QL77JC4 gapped at .030
ck that ur timing base,is moving to its stop,at wot."

"You could see ware on a plug

"You could see ware on a plug after only 20 minutes? What do you mean by worn? Dirty or eroded? If the plug was eroded, you may want to take a look at the top of the piston of the cylinder it came out of for signs of melting... before you run it again. Plugs do not normally show actual signs of ware in that short a time unless there's a serious problem.

good luck."

You didn't read my post ve

You didn't read my post very clear. I said fairly which means minor discoloration. golden brown like it should be. i never said eroded. and its common as you burn through all that grease you put on during a rebuild to gum up plugs.

"u r correct....assembly greas

"u r correct....assembly grease/oils,which i am big on,...will foul up,..but,not if u blow it out in 2nd hr or so...in any case,after say,4 hrs,i wouold recommend a fresh set of plugs,OR,JUST TAKING CARB CLEANER,in a spray can,clean,re-gap/ck plugs.i always,..run one of my overhauls at least an hr,before any hs runs,....i like to watch it,admire my wk,w/a cold coors lite in hand......and the smell of 2 strk in the air.....ahhhh nothing like it!"

"BTW-----i do NOT like surface

"BTW-----i do NOT like surface gap plugs....if u have a 200 on a bass rig,and run HS and turn off----HS then turn off....good...........but for the average boater---98% of us,..idle,pull a skier,..then go bass fish..etc...surface gap...cant stand em."

"and the other is fairly w

"and the other is fairly worn." I take that as worn alot like the guest did who i think can read quiet well.

Slight wear would have been a good choice of words.

Yeah Maybe you...i mean he can

Yeah Maybe you...i mean he can read well but sure can't spell. quiet don't you mean quite. or ware as is wear. JWBmarine got it. Thats who i look to get my advice from.

"Hello Scott,
plz remember yo

"Hello Scott,
plz remember you came to this forum for help DO NOT PICK on any one else about their typing he didn't pick on you not know how fix your motor
plz remember that"

"scott says he has one really

"scott says he has one really clean plug after running,could have water getting in"

Old post.....

JWB.... Sound

Old post.....

JWB.... Sounds like it's broke to me (grin). I was going to seriously quote on the problem but it's probably (hopefully) long ago fixed by now.

Back